Chapter One - Superheroes

One

Two

Three

Four

I count the pills before shoving them into my mouth. Swallowing them with the help of water.

Doesn't sound healthy, does it? It's not.

Diet pills. They should make you lose weight. I don't see anything happening though.

The only difference I have noticed is they suppress my appetite. But, I've been on these for years now. And I look the exact same.

I wish I could change. I want to. I wish they would notice how little I eat for them. I'm trying to lose weight. I want them to like me. But they don't and it's all my fault.

I'm fat. That's what they tell me everyday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I walk into school and look around and see a group of girls looking at me. I give them a small smile of mine and they just roll their eyes. I sigh.

It's because I haven't lost weight yet.

I drop my head and walk to my locker. I get there to see Chelsea and Veronica. I don't necessarily like them. They always remind me of what I already know.

"Hey, fatty." Veronica laughs.

Ouch.

"Hello Veronica."

She narrows her eyes, "What's with the tone?"

I open my locker and grab what I need for first period, "I simply said hello."

Chelsea slaps the things out of my hands, "Listen here bitch-," Someone with a really masculine voice cut her off.

"Veronica, Chelsea. Why don't you two get to class? I want to talk to my friend here."

The voice belonged to Alexander Hanes. The school's star quarterback. He was voted most likely to be on a Calvin Klein magazine. And I am not ashamed to think that was very, very accurate.

"Hey, Emily." He says, once Veronica and Chelsea are gone. "I hope they didn't bother you to much."

I smile, "Hello, Alexander. You don't always have to save me from them you know? I can handle it." I bend down to pick up my things.

He squats and helps handing me a couple papers, "Can't a guy want to help the damsel in distress, sometimes?"

"I guess it would be okay if it was sometimes. Except you do it, all the time."

"I guess I'm more of a superhero then, huh? Not so much Knight in Shining Armour."

I laugh, "Superheroes have powers." I start to walk towards my class, Alexander right behind me.

"No, no, no. Not all. Green Arrow. He's a hero." He states.

"He's more of a hot vigilante. But, I think he may be an exception."

"Then I can be like him."

"Of course you can." I tell him with a smile. "But you might need to learn how to shoot a bow and arrow."

He smiles, "Did you just call me hot without meaning to?"

I feel my face turn a deep crimson color, "Now this, this is why I can only talk to you for only a short amount of time." I mutter.

He starts to laugh, holding his stomach within seconds.

He was still laughing walking into the classroom.

Still laughing when we walked to the back of the class and sat down.

Now, I don't want you to be confused. We are not friends. At least I don't think so. I guess we've never talked about it. He only talks to me sometimes. He always sits back here with me for some reason though. I've always thought because he isn't the best at this class so he prefers the back. I mean, I've seen his grades. I didn't know you could score so. . .low.

"Are you finished yet, Alexander?"

He stops immediately, "I told you to not call me that. It's Alex. Say it with me, Alex." He pronounces Alex slowly to me, like I'm a child.

"Okay, Alexander." I pronounce the same way he did. He rolls his eyes and pouts.

"OKAY! CLASS!" That's our teacher, also the head football coach. "TODAY WE HAVE AN ASSIGNMENT WITH THE PARTNER OF YOUR CHOICE! THIS ASSIGNMENT WILL BE THROUGHOUT THE YEAR! SO FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE, FIND SOMEONE YOU WILL GET ALONG WITH! THIS IS ALL ABOUT GETTING TO KNOW ONE ANOTHER." He shouted at us.

"So, we obviously are going to be partners." Alexander told me.

I raise an eyebrow, "Are we?"

"Well yeah, I won't give you a choice."

I shrug, "I didn't have one in the first place."