Chapter Six - Picture Perfect

Saturday came by a lot faster than I thought it would. The week flew by. I also haven't seen Alexander in a couple days. The football team had an away game so they left on Thursday and  played Friday. He texted me telling me that they won though, and to tell me that he's still coming over for dinner, which is in about 30 minutes.

"Emily! Hurry up. We still need to set the table!" My mother shouts.

"Calm yourself! I'm coming!" I yell back.

I walk into my bathroom and look at myself in the mirror.

You're fat. That's why no one wants to be your friend.

I squeeze my eyes shut, holding back the tears. I clear my throat and shake my head.

I will not cry anymore. I reach into my cabinet and pull out a couple pills and put them in my mouth, walking out of the bathroom to get my water to wash them down.

"Headache?"

I jump, and turn around quickly. "Alexander?"

"Alex." He rolls his eyes.

"What are you doing here?"

He walks past me and sits on my bed. "You invited me over for dinner."

I sigh, a small smile appearing on my lips. "I meant, why are you in my room?"

"I was bored. They were talking about their high school days. Lame." He sighs dramatically. "So, I came to find you."

I shake my head, laughing. He smiles back and leans against my head board. I take this opportunity to look at his outfit. He is wearing a black t-shirt that hugs his biceps, paired with blue jeans that have holes in the knees, and black and white high top vans.

He looks good.

I look up at him to see him looking me over as well.

"You look gorgeous." He looks into my eyes.

I look down at my outfit, not finding anything about it that looks good about it. I am wearing white skinny jeans with holes down my thighs with a black blouse, and black ankle boots. My hair is down past my shoulders and I'm only wearing mascara.

"Um, thanks." I nod my head.

"Oh! How's your head by the way?" He stands up, walking towards me.

"My head? What's wrong with my head?"

His eyebrows scrunch together in confusion, "The pills you took? I thought they were pain killers."

My eyes widen. He saw me take them? "Oh! Yeah! The pills. They were for my head." I force a smile into my face and force out a laugh. He gives me a weird look. I grab his arm and pull him towards the door, before he can question it. "We gotta get down there. They are probably waiting on us."

I practically drag him to the kitchen and smile when I see my parents. I let go of Alexander's arm and sigh in relief. That was close.

"Emily! Come here. These are Alexander's parents." My mom exclaims. I grin widely at them, extending my hand out towards Mr. Hanes.

"Nice to meet you." He smiles back and shakes my hand.

"Nice to meet you, Emily."

I turn towards Mrs. Hanes, holding my hand out to shake hers. "Nice to mee - oof!" I stop short when she pulls me into a hug.

"Hi, honey! Call me Mia." I pull away from the hug slowly maintaining my smile and nod.

I walk towards Uncle Jim Jeffrey and Tammy and pull them into a hug. Then, everyone walks into the dining room to take a seat. I take my normal seat next to my mom and Alexander chooses the chair next to mine, throwing a smile my way. I grin back. My mom starts to place the food on the table and everyone serves themselves.