Chapter Two - Varsity Jacket

My morning classes passed by quicker than usual. Which I am glad for. I really don't like this place.

But, now I have lunch. Which I hate. I'm surrounded by people who can eat food and not gain weight. Then there's me. The fat senior that gains weight somehow by not eating.

I look around and sigh. I wish I could be like them. While looking around I catch Alexander's eye. He's waving at me to come to his table. He is sitting with Veronica and Chelsea. I look at him and shake my head. He looks at me confused. I gesture to Veronica and Chelsea. I see him glance and visibly sigh.

Then I see him start to stand up, I turn away walking outside knowing he would follow. I used to avoid him, but he was just so freaking persistent. So, I stopped resisting. He is the only person I can consider a friend here.

I go sit in my usual spot, under this large oak tree. It's my favorite place here at school. Soon enough I see Alexander come into view.

I smile at him, "Hello, Alexander."

He shoots me a glare for using his full name, but doesn't say anything about it. "You have got to stop sitting way out here. It's so much walking." He whines, sitting next to me. He has two sandwiches. My stomach growls, but I ignore it.

I roll my eyes, "Says the quarterback of the football team."

He smirks, "So, you pay attention to me, huh?" Oh great.

"You always wear a Varsity jacket." I point to his jacket, playing it off. He doesn't need to know I keep tabs on him. And it wasn't a complete lie. He never takes it off, I swear.

He scoffs, "I do not."

I raise an eyebrow, "Then take it off."

He looks at me like I just slapped him across the face, "Take it off?"

"Yep. Off."

"But-I. . .uh,"

I grin, "Knew you wouldn't do it."

He gives me a look, then he smirks. "I will take it off, but you have to do something for me."

I narrow my eyes at him, "Like what?"

"I can't tell you that until you agree."

I look at him for a second. "Is it bad?" He shakes his head no.

"I don't think it's all that bad." Then he stands up, pulling me with him.

I sigh, I don't know why I'm going to do this. But can't a girl see a really attractive, super nice jock and his muscles? "Okay. I'll do it."

He smiles, and I immediately regret my decision.

He takes off his jacket and hands it to me. I look at him confused, but take it nonetheless. "What's this for?"

"Well, if you're going to make me take it off, you're going to wear it." I look at him shocked.

He wants me to wear his jacket?

His Varsity jacket?

"Are you sure?"

"Yep."

"What if I ruin it?"

"You won't."

I cross my arms, the jacket still in my hand, "You have a lot of faith in me."

"Yes, I do. I trust you won't hurt my baby." He looks longingly at his jacket, seeming to already miss it. "So? You'll wear it?"

I look up at him, and it's like he wants me to wear it. And how could I say no to the only person that wants to be my friend anyways? "Okay. I'll wear it."

And the smile on his face when I said that just makes me want to do anything and everything I can. Just to see him smile again.

I can't help but grin back at him. He then takes the jacket out of my hands. "May I?"

"You may." And I spin around as he puts the jacket on my arms.

When he finishes I face him and lift my arms up, "How do I look?"

"You look good. I think it looks better on you than me."

I roll my eyes, "Look at this," I gesture towards my arms, " I look like a freaking flying squirrel."

"Oh, come on. You look cute."

When he said that I turn into a tomato. "Thanks, I guess."

Then, I sit back down. He smiles and sits down with me again.

He pulls out one of his sandwiches and starts to eat it. I turn away not wanting to stare.

"Emily?" I hear him call my name.

"Alexander." I look at him.

"I've been with you almost all of lunch and you haven't eaten anything."

He noticed?

I fiddle with my hands on my lap, "Oh, yeah I didn't have enough money for food." I quickly lie.

"Oh. Here, I have another sandwich. PB&J. Take it." He hands me his other sandwich. And the way he said it was so cute. I almost took it just to make him happy.

Almost.

But I can't.

"You're fat."

"Hey, fatty."

I hear Veronica and Chelsea's words in my head, pointing out my flaws.

My eyes tear up, but I smile at him anyways. "I'm okay. I'm not hungry."

He looks me in the eyes not believing me. But he shrugs it off and just puts it back from wherever he got it from. I sigh in relief.

And after that everything just went back to normal until the bell rang. Telling us lunch was over and it was time for sixth period.

**********

The rest of my classes passed by faster than expected, though I'm not complaining. All day I've been receiving strange looks, and I didn't know why until I asked Alexander and he told me - whilst being extremely cocky - it was because I was wearing his jacket. All I did was roll my eyes and return to the math assignment.

"Emily!" I hear someone call my name. I turn to see none other than Alexander running towards me. I stop to wait up for him.

"You called me?"

"Yeah," He smiles that amazing smile of his. "I wanted to ask you if you could come to the game tonight."

I look at him suspiciously, "Why?"

"I really want you to come to the game," He looks, nervous? "It's the first game of the season, I'd like to see you there."

He wants to see me there?

And the way he said it. So sincere. Why does he make me feel this way? How does he have this kind of hold on me? It's like, all he has to do is smile and look sincere and I would do anything.

I don't know what it is that I feel. I'm not sure if I like him. But I definitely feel something for him. And I suddenly didn't know what I would do if he didn't annoy me to the point that I let him become my friend.

And simply because of that weird hold he has on me, I said three words, that I knew I would never regret.

"Okay. I'll come."