Chapter 10: Closet

The moment he laid eyes on Seto, he let out a startled gasp and stumbled backwards, leaning against the wall in the hallway.
"Tyler?" someone's voice asked.
It took him a second to recognize it, but he soon realized it was Ty.
"Tyler, you're awake!" Jerome exclaimed.
Tyler raised his head, taking one hand off his head. "Yeah...perfect timing, too..." he said sarcastically.
Brice frowned. "The...the body wasn't really found too long ago," he reported. "The only wound found was a...large gash in the neck."
Tyler nodded in acknowledgement. "You feeling okay? You don't look too good," Ty said concernedly. Tyler shook his head. "Don't worry about me...we need as many people we can get to investigate, right?"
"You can check out the Study Room if you want, if we missed anything," Quentin offered.
Tyler wanted to refuse, but he hesitated. They were all dealing with Mutual Killing here. He was going to have to toughen up around here if he wanted to be any help at all during the trials...right?
"Sure," Tyler agreed, and confidently stepped inside the room.
Tyler looked down at Seto's body in blank shock as he heard everyone's footsteps fade behind them, most likely going to investigate elsewhere.
Seto was slumped against the side of the wall behind the large wooden desk in the room. On the desk was an open book that Seto had probably been reading. The book was, like every other book here, written in Standard Gallactic, so there was no point in trying to read it.
The only visible wound on Seto was the large gash in his wound. Pink blood stained bottom areas of his hood, and had ran down his chest.
"He really was a great guy, huh?" someone asked behind Tyler. He turned around to see Ty, leaning on the side of the desk, looking at Seto with a gloomy expression.
"Y-yeah..." Tyler agreed. Had he never left the room?
Ty gave a small smile. "I hope you don't think I'm being creepy or anything. I didn't want you to be alone in a room with a dead body, I know I wouldn't want to be!"
Tyler nodded with understanding. "Thanks," he said.
"Seto was starting to become a good friend of mine, too...he was always pretty smart at the Trials...remember us three were the first to discover the first body?" Ty asked.
"Yeah...it was pretty terrifying, but at least we were together when we found it!" Tyler said. He was starting to feel more comfortable, able to look at something other than Seto in the room. "Did you...get any useful information in here?" Tyler asked eagerly.
Ty tilted his head and looked up thoughtfully. "Uh...well, there's this book for example," he started, pointing to the open book on the desk in front of him.
Tyler raised his eyebrows. "You can read Standard Gallactic?"
Ty chuckled. "Not the words, only Seto could read that crap. I'm talking about the physical book itself. The pages are clean; no blood anywhere."
Tyler looked at the book. "You're right...it doesn't have any blood on it. None on the desk, either. In fact...the only place that seems to have blood on it is on the wall or floor that Seto's leaning or sitting on right now."
Ty nodded eagerly. "See what I'm getting at? Seto wasn't murdered at the desk, it looks like he was murdered against the wall."
"That seems about right, actually," Tyler agreed. "Was it that clean of a kill?"
"Hm," Ty grunted uncertainly. "There is another piece of info I found useful here that kind of contradicts my first theory, though," he said.
"And what's that?" Tyler asked.
Ty pointed to something near Seto. "Look at what was near him."
Tyler reluctantly glanced back at the corpse as he scanned the area around Seto.
There was the wall he leaned against, slightly stained with blood from where the blood had bled through his hood, the floor, which was also stained from the blood that had ran down his chest. He was behind the wooden desk, which was also clean, and the nearest bookshelf was also clean. The only other thing he could see near Seto was the small knife that Seto had brung with him. It was also stained with blood.
"Do you see?" Ty asked. "What, the knife?" Tyler replied. Ty nodded. "The knife is bloody," Ty pointed out. "What could that only mean?"
Tyler thought. "Well...the knife could only be bloody if it had been used to draw blood, right?"
Ty nodded. "Now you're getting it! Clues are everywhere. Let's keep looking elsewhere, then. I think we're done here. We can't despair the trial!" He turned around with a small friendly wave and casually walked out of the room.
Tyler left the Study room too, and closed the door slowly behind him. When they returned here later, one of their peers missing, Seto's would have mysteriously disappeared, like Jordan's and Bodil's...
He walked down the short hallway that lead back to the living room. He passed Quentin as he was walking. "Did you find any other important clues on the second floor so far?" Tyler asked him. Quentin shrugged. "No, not really. Most of the evidence was in the Study Room. The only other blood found was the blood in the bathroom across the hall."
Tyler's eyes widened. "There was blood in the bathroom?"
Quentin nodded. "Guess someone forgot to tell you, sorry. Yeah, not a lot of course, the only blood found there was on a small rag buried at the bottom of the trash can in there."
Tyler frowned. "It sounds like they were obviously trying to hide evidence. Why would 't they just flush it down the toilet?"
"I was thinking that too," Quentin nodded. "I think if they were to flush it down, someone could have heard the noise?"
Tyler nodded. "That makes sense," he agreed.
After Quentin had walked away, Tyler decided to maybe investigate the third floor. He had already been on the first, and like Ty had said, clues were everywhere.
On the third floor, Tyler noticed that the closet door was open. He decided to go and check it out.
Inside, he saw Jason looking around. A torch had been placed to brighten the room and make investigation easier.
"Hey, Jason. Is there anything going on here?" Tyler asked.
"Hmm...well, I just got here, and I'm not sure if I'm imagining this or not..." Jason explained.
"What, is something wrong?" Tyler asked. Jason nodded hesitantly. "I think so...I'm not sure, but when we were in the closet earlier, exploring it, didn't it look dustier?"
Tyler looked around. "Yeah...couldn't that just be because we had opened the door, and let some of the dust out?" he asked.
Jason shook his head. "No, like some of these chests look too clean, don't you think?"
Tyler walked over to a chest and inspected it. The surface did look pretty clean. "Almost like someone was wiping the dust off," he remarked. Jason nodded in agreement. "Yeah, because if you wanted to open these chests, the dust would fly off everywhere. That happened to me when I opened one earlier, remember? But there was just dyes and stuff inside, why would someone be going through them?"
Tyler thought for a moment. "Well...you only opened one chest, right? Who said all the chests were all filled with useless stuff?"
Jason's eyes widened in understanding. "Oh, god."
One by one, Tyler and Jason opened every clean chest. The first one contained leather, feathers and wool. The second contained dyes Jason had found before. The third was suspiciously empty. And the fourth...
"Aaand, there you go," Jason sighed.
In the fourth was some tools, such as hammers and wrenches, along with a crowbar sitting on top of the pile, one half covered in unmistakable pink blood.
"Whoever used this didn't really do that good of a job hiding it inside the chest," Tyler observed.
"This doesn't really look like it was what killed Seto," Jason pointed out. "Seto's only injury was a slit throat, and a crowbar can't really do that. Maybe the curved end, but the blood's mostly on the middle of the bar."
Tyler thought for a moment. "Maybe it was used to knock Seto out by hitting him on the head? But then again, how did the blood get on there if Seto died from the throat slit?"
"I think maybe this was the weapon used on you," Jason said.
Tyler's eyes widened. "You mean, the weapon that hit me on the head and knocked me out?" Jason nodded. "That would explain why there's blood on it, right?"
"True," Tyler agreed. It was strange that he was staring at the item that had almost caused his death.
"I suppose that's been enough time for the investigation!" Herobrine's voice boomed through the house. "Let's make our way down to the elevator, shall we?"