Chapter 22: Door

Tyler stared at the body for a moment. The silence was deafening. Then realization kicked in, and his first thought was "Suiko was right?!"
Taking a step back, Tyler turned and ran down the stairs as quickly as he could, not bothering to close the door.
How could Ryan be dead?! Tyler had just seen him alive this morning at breakfast...had the murder been so recent?
And no blood! That made the death even creepier. Tyler was pretty sure it was a broken neck. But Ryan's body had obviously been hung up after the murderer simply broke his neck, as if on display.
Tyler nearly ran into someone as he tore down the hallway and jumped back almost immediately.
"Sorry!" He exclaimed, realizing it was Brice, Jerome and Quentin.
"What's got you in such a hurry?" Quentin asked.
"We were just going up to check out the fourth floor, did you come from there and see something?" Brice asked.
Tyler shook his head frantically. "N-no...On the second floor, there's a body!"
The three of them gasped.
"So Suiko wasn't kidding?!" Jerome exclaimed.
"He told you too?" Tyler asked.
Jerome nodded. "No one believed him, though..."
"Well, c'mon!" Brice exclaimed, and Tyler took the lead back down the hall. When they got up the stairs, Tyler froze. The door was closed.
"Huh? I could've sworn I left it open..." Tyler muttered, and grabbed the handle.
The door wouldn't budge.
"It's locked?!" Jerome exclaimed. Tyler nodded in disbelief. "From the inside." "How...who...who's in there?" He asked.
"What do we do now?" Quentin asked with a frown.
"Shh. Do you hear that?" Brice asked in a high whisper. Everyone fell silent.
Thump. Thump. Thump.
"What the hell is that?" Quentin asked quietly.
"I dunno, but it doesn't sound like it's coming from the second floor," Jerome replied.
"Third, maybe?" Brice asked.
"Then let's go check it out," Quentin declared, and everyone hurried up another flight of stairs. Up there, the thumping seemed to get louder.
They listened quietly, trying to follow the sound. It stopped for a while, then two more feeble thump thumps. Then it stopped.
"It sounded like it was coming from the end of the hall..." Jerome said nervously.
"The closet, maybe?" Brice asked.
They crept towards the closet, and Tyler noticed that the door was locked. He slowly turned the lock and pushed open the door.
Everyone gasped in surprise, Tyler especially.
Sitting on the floor, arms and legs tied up, tape over his mouth, was Ryan.
"Ryan? What are you doing here?!" Brice exclaimed.
Ryan frowned sourly and made some muffled indistinguishable words from under the tape.
"Oh, haha, sorry," Brice apologized, and bent down, ripping the tape off Ryan's mouth. "OW!" Ryan yelped. "Sorry!" Brice apologized again.
Tyler stared at Ryan in shock. Wasn't Ryan just...? No, this couldn't be...
"Tyler? What's wrong?" Jerome asked, glancing over at Tyler while Brice and Quentin untied Ryan.
"Ryan...Ryan was the person I saw dead on the second floor," Tyler replied numbly.
"WHAT?" Everyone exclaimed, even Ryan.
"But Ryan's right here!" Brice exclaimed.
"Well, I can see that," Tyler noted, "But I swear, he was dead in the other room. His neck was snapped, and the painting had been taken down, someone hung the body on the nail of the painting by the cape."
Everyone stared at Tyler.
Ryan spoke up. "I-I just remember walking to my room after breakfast, then something hit me hard on the head when I walked inside. I woke up here and started banging on the door with my feet to try and make noise. But...you guys obviously heard it...I'm alive right? I'm not a ghost! Am I?!"
"I...I have no idea. But I saw you dead...." Tyler trailed off confusedly.
Quentin finished untying Ryan, and the ropes fell loosely to the ground as Ryan stood up. "I'm definitely alive," Ryan said, with a hint of uncertainty.
Could...could someone else have been under the batman suit? Tyler thought. But Ryan's right here, and he's alive. Was he faking? But how did he lock the door downstairs? And tie himself up? In this amount of time?
"H-hello?!" Someone's voice called from downstairs, shrill with panic.
"That sounded like Jason," Quentin muttered. "What's he doing down there?" Jerome asked. "This is getting confusing, my brain's gonna split..." Brice muttered. "C'mon, let's go see what's the matter," Tyler said."Uh, okay," Ryan agreed, looking baffled.
They rushed down the stairs, and met up with Jason outside the second floor. Jason's eyes were wide and he was trembling, and everyone immediately saw why.
The door to the second floor was still closed, but blood was now oozing out from under it.
"What...?!" Tyler asked in bewilderment.
"I thought I head a commotion, s-so I came to check it out, and when I got here-!" Jason explained in a panicked voice.
"That stuff smells!" Jerome exclaimed, holding his nose. "That's fresh blood!"
"We need to get in there!"
Brice exclaimed. "How?" Quentin asked. "Is there any other way in?"
Jerome marched up to the door and firmly grabbed the handle.
"Jerome, you're stepping in it!" Ryan exclaimed.
"I don't care," Jerome replied. "We gotta get this door open..." He trailed off and began pushing on the door, his face strained from effort. He stopped abruptly and gave a quick sigh. "It's not budging..." He panted.
The reek of the blood was beginning to waft up to Tyler's nose, making him feel dizzy and sick. He turned away, and saw something in the hallway that made the situation even more confusing.
The white figure.
"What do you want?" Tyler snapped. Everyone turned to see what Tyler was snapping at.
"Gah! What's that?!" Brice exclaimed. "That ghost thing I've been talking about," Tyler growled. "It's just annoying at this point."
The white figure stared at them.
"What does it want?" Ryan asked quietly.
"It usually just stares at me until I walk towards it or something," Tyler explained, staring straight back at the figure.
"Does it want you to go somewhere?" Quentin asked.
"Probably," Tyler replied, and headed down the staircase. The white figure instantly turned around and drifted/walked to the Enchanting Room.
"See?" Tyler said.
"This is getting creepy..." Jason muttered nervously.
"Well we gotta follow it now, right?" Brice said. Everyone nodded and followed the figure into the Enchanting Room.
In the room, the figure was standing next to the enchantment table, staring at them.
"What does it want with the enchantment table?" Ryan asked curiously.
Suddenly, a book fell off the nearby shelf and landed on the floor next to the enchantment table, and the ghost disappeared.
"Did that book fall on purpose...?" Brice asked nervously.
Tyler went over and cautiously picked up the book. As he looked down at the confusing Standard Galactic chracters, they slowly began to fade and become english characters.
"Hey!" Tyler exclaimed in surprise. "This book just went from Standard Galactic to regular english!"
"What? What does it say?" Quentin demanded.
"Uhh..." Tyler said, skimming the page the book had opened up to. "It looks like...some sort of instructions."
"For what?" Jason asked, looking over Tyler's shoulder. "All must stand around the table and picture the bookshelf they wish to teleport to?"
"Wait, is that some sort of teleportation spell?" Jerome asked confusedly.
If only Seto were here, Tyler thought. Or AlterSorcerer.
"Wait, so does this mean you can teleport through the enchantment table to other places with bookshelves?!" Ryan asked, astonished.
"I guess so," Tyler said.
"The Study Room!" Brice exclaimed. "Where Seto died. That was on the second floor, we can get there!"
"Yeah! Let's all stand around it, and picture the bookshelf thing," Jason said.
They all did as the book said, standing around the enchantment table. Tyler pictures the Study Room, trying to push the image of dead Seto out of his mind, and suddenly, in the blink of an eye, he was in the Study Room with everyone else.
"How...?" Jerome asked.
"Enchantment Tables can do that?!" Ryan said in awe.
"I doubt it," Quentin replied. "It was probably just command blocks or something, the mastermind just wanted to seem...magical or something."
"Hm...that would make sense," Tyler muttered.
"What are we waiting for?!" Jason exclaimed. "We need to go check out the Living Room!"
Everyone ran down the hallway, and froze when they go to the living room.
"What...?" Ryan muttered as he looked at the corpse in a batman suit identical to his. Tyler stared at it too in dread, but then he turned his attention to the front door, and screamed. The blood from under the door...had been coming from...