Seventeen

I'm terrified now, clutching this journal. I walk amongst their walls knowing I'm no longer trying to be part of their mission. I decided I'm going to keep writing in this so there's a record of what happened like Chrissy wanted. Even if this doesn't work, there's at least proof I tried as well. Hope she won't mind.

Walking down these clunky metal corridors, I'm headed to where they're being kept. I'm just waiting for them to override the permissions to let me in.

It's strange that I've never met these people, but I want to help them so much. However, Chrissy's words have made me realise what I should've been doing this entire time. I should've fought it, but I didn't. I'm surprised they even made it out of the Outsiders camp, especially a protected one. Same with the other group of guys, I'd seen them on wanted posters for years.

The silence seems to be biding their time though. They don't seem to be too eager to punish them just yet. I thought they might have made a scene of them in front of the people. So, they knew the dangers of trying to spread the disease called music.

Someone's calling me. I guess here it goes.

*******

That felt so good. Chrissy is now aware that I'm trying to help them. I tried to give her back the journal, but she refused saying all she was going to be able to write about was mould and the lumpy stews and porridge that they'd been giving them. I'm glad they haven't tried to hurt them, but the living standards don't seem so good. No one deserves to live like this. Chrissy said she'd seen it all before in the Outsiders camps. That worries me more, how many of them are living through this?

It was amazing though to see someone realise who I was. Remember a part of myself that I thought was long forgotten. Maybe I'll even pen some lyrics tonight that match with the beat thumping through my mind. Just like the old days, a fifteen-year-old girl jamming with her best friends. Man, I miss that.

Chrissy explained to me the purpose of the instruments, and seemed relieved that I hadn't truly destroyed them like she'd been told. I was glad to hear that as it meant my plan had worked if even my superiors thought I'd destroyed those instruments.

My plan now is obviously to find a way to end the silence, if even for a moment. I guess it's time for a trip back home to the place where it all began. Only then can I find a way to solve this. As Chrissy says we will take back what's rightfully ours.

H.