Chapter 2- We Have Chemistry

"Wow, kids. Great moves! Keep it up, proud of you." Mr. Herkabe said as he passed Heather, Malcolm, and Stevie's lab table. They were mixing chemicals and making complex formulas.

"We work good together." Heather told. Malcolm nodded. "So tell me about you guys, I guess." Heather smiled and shrugged her shoulders. She wanted to know more about them, but Malcolm specifically. They all continued their work as Malcolm spoke.

"Well, uh, there's not much to say. Well nothing interesting at least. I have 4 brothers, I guess I'm smart, I dunno what else. I like history-"

"Oh, I LOVE history!" Heather announced. She got excited to see that they had a common interest.

"Ah, really? Cool. Yeah." He laughed a little bit and Heather did too. They worked on the lab and talked about history for the next hour. Heather was now really starting to like Malcolm- he seemed okay. Sometimes he would block Stevie out of the conversation, which she found rude. But it didn't happen often enough for her to think it was just a horrible thing he did all the time.

After an hour of working, Mr. Herkabe shouted for everyone's attention. He went on to his next instructions, and the rest of the school day played out well for Heather. She talked to the kid she sat next to earlier, Dabney, who she found to be very sweet and funny and nice, two other people- a quirky girl with strange pigtails named Cynthia, and a tall kid named Lloyd who wore a dark blue sweater.

When the bell rang to go home, Heather wasn't in much of a rush to get out. She took her time packing her schoolbag up. She had her head tilted down while looking into her bag when she heard someone walk over to her. She looked up. It was Malcolm.

"Oh, hey Malcolm!" Heather happily said to her friend. Malcolm smiled too.

"Hey Heather, um, do you wanna go for a walk?" He seemed a bit nervous, but Heather only got happier.

"Yeah, come on, let's get outta here." She suggested as she zipped up her bag and swung it over her shoulder. They exited the class and started walking down the hallway.

"So where are you from?" Malcolm asked.

"Well, I'm still just from this town, I just transferred here from Bluecorn. Well, actually I was born in Tennessee, but no, I came here just from a few miles away." Heather told Malcolm matter-of-factly.

The two of them crossed the road opposite from the school. They were about to part ways when Malcolm asked Heather:

"Hey, I've been meaning to see this movie, and-" Heather's laugh interrupted him.

"Yes, I'd love to come." Heather giggled and smiled. Malcolm looked very happy and surprised.

"Oh! Okay, cool! Well don't you wanna know what movie?" he asked.

"Nah. Surprise me!" Heather cheered.

"Ahaha. Is tomorrow cool?" He asked politely.

"Tomorrow'd be awesome." She smiled and waved. "Bye Malcolm."

"Bye Heather." Malcolm smiled back.

She turned her back to him and thought about how much of a great day tomorrow would be. She couldn't help but to smile to herself as she walked home.