Chapter 4- What to Think of It

Towards the end of the movie, Heather told Malcolm she had to leave. Her watch read it was six thirty, and that no matter what her mom had to have her home by seven. Malcolm said he understood and he offered to leave too to walk her home, but Heather kindly asked him to stay because she didn't want Dabney to be left alone.

"Ugh, fine. Okay. Thanks for coming Heather. It was nice. Maybe we can try again just the two of us one time...." Malcolm faintly whispered to Heather, making sure Dabney couldn't hear.

"Yeah, I'd like that. Thanks for the ticket! See you at school!" Heather whispered happily before standing up. As she was walking out she heard Dabney ask Malcolm,

"Hey, where's she going?" Malcolm just responded with,

"Oh, she's going to the bathroom."

Heather didn't react publicly, only in her head. Why would he lie? She thought. But she didn't know.

The walk back to Heather's home was a bit spooky, the sun was pretty much set by the time she left the theater. It was lonely and quiet too. But she thought about what a nice time she had. She realised she didn't really like Malcolm any more than she had already after the date.

The date? Did she really just say a date? She erased that thought- it couldn't have been a date, there was three people. Just three friends hanging out. But then she thought- well, originally, it was going to be date, just Malcolm and her.

Oh my gosh!

He liked her! Now she totally wished she had fought harder against Dabney's request to see the movie with Malcolm and her. Why did he even ask in the first place? Heather wish she knew. Maybe she'd ask him tomorrow at school.

When she got home, she looked at the time her watch read: 6:45 p.m.

"Mom, I'm home!" She called out.

"In here!" she called from the kitchen. "Hey, sweetie how was the movie?"

"It was good I guess, but one of Malcolm's friends tagged along with us, and I guess he's my friend too, but I just... Malcolm and I didn't really get to talk. Dabney was kinda a blabbermouth on the walk there."

Heather's mother set a bowl of tomato soup in front of Heather and handed her a spoon. Heather saw a grilled cheese sandwich being made on the stovetop.

"Ah, I'm sure he didn't mean to be intrusive, but yes, I know how it is. Your aunt would tag along with my friends and I all the time. You could just, I don't know, say, go to the park with him one time, or just a walk if you were really set on having a conversation. But it's not like you would converse much at the theater." Heather's mother tried to argue.

"Well, okay." Heather didn't really think her mother had a point, so she just told her mom those words meaninglessly and ate her soup. She thought about seeing Malcolm at school as her mother placed her grilled cheese on her plate.