Chapter 10

"Steve, I don't think she should be involved. It's too dangerous. She isn't in control right now." Pietro spoke into the phone. He stood in the kitchen of the Avenger's tower.

I wasn't really supposed to be listening, but I couldn't help it, as usual. I was in my room, sitting on the bed, trying my hardest to block out all the noise. So far, I hadn't been successful. Instead, the harder I tried to find some quiet, the louder everything got. I was hearing and seeing flashes of people all over the world. Some happy, exalted even, some yelling and terrified. Some dying. All of it was surrounding me, folding me into a cacophonous cocoon.

"I understand, Pietro." Steve responded. He was in Vienna, looking over a file that Sharon Carter had just given to him. It was a lead, but I was a bigger lead. "Normally, I wouldn't ask her to put herself in danger, but she has been keeping tabs on Bucky for months. She has to know where he is. They think he's responsible for the explosion. They'll kill him or he'll kill someone. We have to find him first."

"So this is where your loyalties lie? When it comes down to the two of them, you're going to choose him, just like that?" Pietro asked, speaking fast. He didn't mean it, I knew that. He was just frustrated that Steve was asking me to get involved when all Pietro wanted us to do was get to Kamar Taj where we could be sure I was safe, and the Ancient One could teach me how to defend myself from Loki. "You didn't see her, Steve. I don't know what he showed her, exactly, but Loki really got to her."

"I'm not choosing, Pietro, but I know Em and she is stronger than you think. Don't underestimate her." Steve said. "Is she there, can I just talk to her?"

"This is exactly what I mean. You say you know her. You knew her, the human her. Have you ever stopped to think what it must be like for her? She is everywhere all at once, all the time. She see's things she doesn't want to see. Do you really think she isn't hearing all of this? She may not have left our room since the explosion, but that doesn't mean that she has secluded herself. She can't escape it." Pietro said. He was pacing now, and trying to slow down and speak at a normal speed, unsuccessfully. "She's stronger than anyone I know, Steve, but she isn't the same girl that you met in the park so many months ago."

Steve sighed. "I know this hasn't been easy, and it's only getting harder for her, but I really need her." He hung up.

Maybe someday they would get along.

"Em, I'm sorry, but please." Steve whispered. To anyone who may have seen him in the cafe, they would have thought he was just some man mumbling to himself, but I got his message, loud and clear. "It's Bucky."

I could hear it in his voice. He knew what he was asking. He knew the kind of danger I could bring by getting involved, but he was right. It's Bucky. The Bucky that Steve has told me so much about. Bucky, who has saved Steve, over and over again. His best friend, his brother. How could I not help.

I teleported to Bucharest where Bucky was currently hiding out. He was out getting a few things from the market on the busy streets of Romania. Clearly, he hasn't heard about the attack yet, or his supposed involvement. If he had, he'd be on his way out of town. I landed across the street to try and avoid scaring him. It was colder than I thought it would be. I tugged on the zipper of my leather jacket as I crossed the street.

I walked to the market stand where he stood, buying plums. "Bucky?" I said.

I could see his whole body stiffen at the name. He looked at me, deciding what to do. His features were intense and threatening for a moment before recognition dawned on him.

"You're the girl from before, with the blue glowing hands." He said, looking me over once like expecting a second head to grow spontaneously from my shoulders. "I thought I'd dreamt that or hallucinated it, at least."