Chapter 1 (first flowers)

David's pov

I woke up in the early morning. I rubbed my tired eyes and stood up from my bed. After yawning and stretching myself I walked to the bathroom and prepared myself for the day.

After my shower I looked into the mirror and I saw a little flower over my left ear.
How did that got there?
I asked myself and tried to get it away but every try would end up in hurting myself even more.

What is that....? Does it grow out of my head? It even hurts when I try to rip a leaf off.
I sighed.
I'll just let it stay. I mean, it doesn't hurt anybody and it looks pretty.

I looked back into the mirror and realized the tiredness in my eyes.
Gwen was right! I do look like I haven't slept for days.

Unfortunately the clock turned 7am and that's breakfast time. I'm already supposed to be in the mess haul.
"Dang it!" I said quietly to myself and quickly finished what I've begun. I ran to the mess haul to be 'happily' greeted by gwen.

"Where were you! I had to deal with all the kids by myself."
All of the campers already were eating thier food in somewhat disgust.
"I-i'm sorry gwen. I slept in..."
"Oh. But mister 'slept in' seemed to have enough time to put flowers in his hair?!"
She grabbed one flower and pulled on it. I let out a scream of pain. She let go of the flowers and I held my hands over them.

Everybody was now looking at me in surprise. I panicked and headed out of the room without another word.

I ran to the beach, in hope noone would expect me there. I sighed and sat down on the sand. I looked out into the water and petted over my left ear. It seems like a second flower grew beside the first one.

Is this a sickness?  Should I see a doctor? I've never heard of something like this...

"David?" I heard a familiar voice behind me.
"What is it?" I answered.
The person came up to me and stood beside of me.
"I'm sorry for my little outburst. I was stressed and tired of the kids."
I sighed. "It's ok. Gwen. I know the kids can be a bit...erm..."
"Annoying?"
"Y-yeah..."

There was a heavy silence in the air until gwen spoke up again.
"What's up with those flowers in your hair?"
"I... I don't know. They seem to... grow out of my head..."
I looked away in shame because I sound so stupid right now.
Gwen just looked at me in shock.

"W-wait! What? You're kidding me."
"No!" Tears started to build up in my eyes out of frustration. My voice almost broke as I spoke up again.
"I don't know either what it is! I can't pull them out because it just hurts a-and I'm scared..."

I took deep breaths to keep myself from panicking. Gwen layed an arm around me in a comforting manner.
"Why are you scared?"
I sighed.
"I mean... it could be deadly... I-I have never heard of something like this. A-and I had bad headaches before the f-flowers grew. So m-maybe t-they are also g-growing inside of m-my head..."
I whipped a few of my tears away.

"If the headache doesn't come back, I think you're fine. But you can go to a doctor if you want. I can manage the children for a little bit. But just say something and don't just leave me alone..."
She petted my back and I managed to crack a smile.
"Alright... thanks gwen."
"No Problem."

She stood up again after a while.
"I go back to the camp and watch after the kids. You just take your time to calm a little and then come back."
"Ok" I mumbled and gwen left. I looked at the water again. The water had a beautiful color. A mixture of pastel blue and white...

Daniel!

The thought of him just plopped up into my head again. Why an I thinking about him that often?