Chapter 1

this is my first long chapter (1142 words ) so bear with me if you see any mistakes. so please let me know if I messed up somewhere.

thank you.

***

Like any other student, Rosemary was walking down the schools' hallways on her way to class. Calmly walking between the waves of students rushing past her, Rosemary finally steps into her classroom for the next period which was History. She gave the teacher a small smile before walking towards her seat against the wall in the back. She liked sitting here. It's quiet, nobody notices you and you don't feel watched the entire time.

Once everyone sat down. Her teacher, an older man started with his lesson. She immediately focused on what he had to say, therefor History was her favorite subject. She loved learning how people lived in the old days, she loved hearing the story's, she loved the fact that people just like any other lived so differently and believed in the most absurd things. It was miraculously stupid to her.

As the bell rang she followed the horde of people towards the school's parking lot. History was after all her last period of the day. Looking around she found her car just where she left it this morning when she arrived. She started walking to her car when she stopped herself after seeing who had parked their car next to hers. Emily and her friends were laughing and talking about a party they attended the previous night. Rosemary hesitated to wait until Emily would go away but when they still hadn't after ten minutes Rosemary picked up her courage and walked up to the old dirty vehicle compared to Emily's shiny red one. Rosemary loved the antique car her grandparents gave her but it was nothing next to the new Volkswagen.

Rosemary hoped she could slip in the car without them noticing her because of unknown reasons Emily didn't like Rosemary too much. Not that she would let her ruin her life by going into hiding.

Once home Rosemary greeted her mother who was in the kitchen packing a small basket.

'Good day, mother.' She said after giving her a kiss on the cheek. Her mother who was a young beautiful and kind woman smiled dearly at her daughter. As Rosemary was walking towards the stairs she heard her mother say; 'Come, Little Rosa here is a bottle of hot chocolate and some cookies I baked. Take them to your grandparents, they would love it if you visited them again. Take your car as it will be quicker and remember to stay on the main road. It will be safer.' Rosemary loved her mother but she could be overprotective and too worried at times. 'Of course, mother. But I am not a child anymore I can take care of myself.'

'Oh and don't forget to greet them for me, please. Tell them I am sorry I couldn't make it because of work. Okay? Sweetie.' Her mother said as she took the basket off the counter. 'No problem. I'll let you know when I would need your help.' She informed. Rosemary started walking to the front door and heard her mother say she could be in a meeting as she closed the door behind her.

Her grandparents lived in a country house an hour away. Because of the long drive needed to reach them, Rosemary and her mother didn't visit so often. She always thought their house was gorgeous, especially the rose bushes they had in the front garden. As a child she would always be somewhere near the flowers, it was her safe haven.

Rosemary seated herself in the car and placing the basket in the passenger seat. She had a long drive ahead of her so the sooner she left, the faster she could return before nightfall as the darkness was not her most favorite time to be out.

The drive was pretty simple. She just needed to follow the main road with here and there a few lefts and rights. But when she was just twenty minutes away – by a car that was- her old car made an awful noise which didn't sound all too good. So being alone on the little dirt road, Rosemary stopped the car and stepped out. Trying to find out what was wrong she walked aimlessly around the car, after a minute of not finding anything she took her phone and dialed her mom's phone number. When her mother didn't pick up she remembered her saying she would be in a meeting. Knowing her grandparents haven't used a phone in like three years explained why she didn't try calling them. Now you might think she could call a friend, although Little Rosa wasn't all to popular and therefore hasn't had a lot of friends apart from a few acquaintances. As she was about to give up all hope on getting there as she would not leave her car, a young boy around her age walked down the same road as her but facing the other way as if he just walked out of the woods.

Feeling as if he was her only hope she jogged a little closer while calling out to him. He turned around almost immediately. As she looked at him she could feel a sort of vibe coming off of him, it felt dangerous and wicked but also trusting and calming at the same time.

'How can I help you?' He asked after they stood in front of each other. As she explained her problem, he started going to the car. 'I can take a look at it if you want. I'm not saying I can fix it but you know what I mean.' The boy said giving her a polite smile. 'Yes sure. Go ahead.' Rosemary watched as the young man did a tour around the car. After hearing him sigh he casually opened the hood of the car.

'My name is Rosemary by the way.' She started as the silence was getting to her making her shift in her place not knowing what to do. 'I'm Wayne. You have a beautiful name.' the way he gives her a compliment made her shiver because not a lot of people compliment her let alone talk. 'Thank you. Yours is not so bad either.' She tried to say without stuttering. 'So Rosemary where were you off to?' He asked properly feeling her need to make a conversation. 'I was on my way to my grandparents as I haven't visited in a while. How about you? What are you doing on this road which is practically in the middle of nowhere.' He chuckled at her question. Was it that funny or odd to ask? 'Well even though it may seem strange I like to go in the woods and just walk until I feel the need to go back home.' She once again felt a certain vibe radiate off of him but this time it was; weird and distrusting but at the same time intriguing and inviting. 

***

Hello, I'm back.

I had fun writing this chapter as it was the first scene I thought of when writing the retelling.

So please let me know what you thought it would mean the world to me.

Comment, vote, follow

C xx