Chapter 27

I followed Alex down to the courtyard, walking behind him as if in a dream. The light and sounds of the corridors were grating. A few times, I missed my step and bumped into a corner or a bend in the wall. I was the fool chasing a miracle at the end of the rainbow; drunk on its luster.

Once we crossed over the threshold and left the castle, Alex turned and offered me a graceful bow, holding my hand and kissing it with a courtly flourish. Without a word, he left, striding off toward the stables. I stood blinking and breathless as Calum and Bess looked on. I could just make out the curl of amusement across their lips.

Wallis broke the spell I was seemingly trapped within by running toward me and crashing into my legs.

"Eileaaaaannn," she whined, high-pitched voice a little too saccharine. "Mom-mom says I not go with you."

I rested my hand on the top of her head and ruffled her hair. "You can't come with me this time, lovey."

"Because?" She blinked up at me impatiently.

"I told you, Wallis, Eilean is going where sick people are. It would be dangerous to take you," Bess called out, hands on her hips.

My sister-in-law and I shared a look of amused exasperation.

"Next time I go for a ride, I promise to take you with me," I said, crouching down and talking to Wallis eye-to-eye.

That earned me a smile and a small jig of excitement. Any lingering unhappiness the girl felt was forgotten. I let her lead me over to the wagon where Bess and Calum were stacking up supplies. The number of boxes and crates of food stacked in the cart surprised me.

"Can we spare all this?" I asked.

"Truth be told, we're hurting for storage space in the kitchens. Cook says all of this is the surplus's surplus." Bess said as she pushed back a few flyaway hairs from her face. The gold of her hair danced on the wind around her head like a halo. A smattering of summer freckles already bloomed across her nose and cheeks.

"Fair enough," I said, moving out of the way as Calum shuffled closer and placed the last box of tinctures on the floorboards under the bench. "I suppose it's hard getting used to the idea of a surplus."

"We might as well share it while we have it, and pray we never need the favor returned." Bess agreed, nodding.

"Was Wallis successful in her petition?" Calum asked, dusting off his fine silk tunic. It was a beautiful shade of pasture green that offset the heaviness of his dark brows and hair.

"Fortunately, no," I laughed. "Though I owe her a ride at a later date."

"You better get on your way, you're losing the morning," Bess said, studying a dented pocket watch. Catching Wallis by the apron strings as she zoomed past, she swung the girl up onto her hip.

"Right. Thanks," I said, gripping Bess' shoulder. A surge of pride and affection for her spread within me. I was grateful to have her by my side. "I'll see you when I get back."

Bess nodded and turned to head back into the castle, Wallis waving over her shoulder. I gestured my hands to the full wagon and offered my thanks to Calum for help in filling it.

"It is my pleasure, to serve the great Laid MacLeod," he said genially, bowing at the waist. "You're quite fetching in your festive yellow bow and bright pink dress. Are you sure you're off to nurse the sick or visit a suitor?"

I patted the bow, feeling the ribbon crinkle under my fingers. "Nurse the sick, I'm afraid. Though today's assignment was unknown to me when I dressed."