Chapter 1

EDITED. 3/31/18

"Can you just hold still?!" Luna grunts, attempting to tie my hair into a messy back bun.

"But I don't wanna," I whine, tilting my head back for emphasis.

"I said to hold still," Luna growls, making me stiffen in my chair. I can practically feel her grinning as she wraps the ponytail around the mess of hair. "There," She breathes. "All done."

She twirls my chair dramatically, aiming me to the mirror.

"Wow," I mutter.

Luna scowls in the mirror. "That's all I get? After dealing with you for a solid ten minutes, all I get is a wow?" Luna hisses.

"Lemme finish," I continue. "Wow. You did better than yesterday." With this, I peel out of my room and down the stairs, nearly tripping over my own feet.

"HADLEY JUNE STARR!" Luna screams after me, trampling down the stairs as well.

I cackle as I leap out of the house and slam the door in Luna's face, pressing my back against it. After I catch my breath, I turn my head to see Luna standing right there, a smirk crossing her face.

"You have a back door, hotshot." She grins deviously before tackling me onto the grass, prodding my ribs repetitively.

"Stop...STOP!" I screech in between breaths as she tickles me. Luna pushes herself off of me and brushes the imaginary dirt off her jacket as I lie on the ground, panting. She grabs ahold of my hand and pulls me off the ground, then plays with my bun.

"Still holding up," she murmurs to herself before smirking at me. "And FYI, I did just fine yesterday as well."

I roll my eyes playfully before going back inside to finish watching Sleeping Beauty. Luna plops down beside me, texting with amazing speed on her phone.

"I told Kayla to come over," She states, snatching the remote from my hand and turning up the volume to an alarming pitch.

"ARE YOU FUCKING DEAF?!" I scream over the TV, covering my ears with my hands. Luna remains seated while stuffing her face full of popcorn.

"WHAT?" she hollers back, not even looking at me. I grab the remote from her hands and hit the mute button. "Hey!" she whines.

"Are you trying to get hearing aids?" I hiss at her, turning the volume on the TV to an acceptable level.

Around ten minutes after Luna's mini episode, Kayla waltzes into my house holding a bag of candy.

"I come bearing gifts," she announces. Luna dashes from the couch and tackles Kayla to the floor.

"Gimme, gimme, gimme!" she squeals, rummaging through the bag as Kayla struggles to get up. I chuckle to myself before shoving a frantic Luna off of a mortified Kayla. Kayla scurries up quickly, gripping onto my waist like her life depended on it. I laugh as Luna pulls out a bag of Swedish Fish and stares at them blankly.

"What. The fuck. Are these?" Luna sneers at Kayla.

"I like them." Kayla shrugs.