Chapter 24

✖️not edited✖️

"I'm so, so sorry, Hadley," Mrs. Holland gushes, gently patting my face with a wet cloth. "She's usually never that bitter."

"It's really okay, Mrs. Holland. I'm fine." I reassure her for about the seventeenth time.

She stops dabbing my face with the cloth to look at me.

"You can call me Autumn, sweetheart." She smiles.

"But, you told Abbigail - "

Autumn cuts me off, "I've never been a huge fan of Abbigail."

I snicker.

"I wonder why?" I ask sarcastically.

"Mrs. Holland," a familiar voice calls. "Your husband is on the telephone."

Sadie shuffles into the kitchen where we are and hands Mrs. Holland a phone. Sadie notices me and smiles.

"Thank you, Sadie. Could you please show Hadley to the guest wardrobe? We need her in a fabulous dress for the ball tonight." Autumn requests before leaving.

"You heard the queen, Hadley. Scoot your booty into the hallway." Sadie's entire demeanor changes. She goes from formal and proper to sarcastic and funny.

I wish I had that talent.

"What ball?" I remove myself from the velvety chair Autumn pulled from the dining room.

"The traditional royal ball, of course." Sadie explains in a duh-tone. "The one that's thrown before a royal wedding? It's like a bachelor and bachelorette party, but in...a ball form." She tries to continue speaking, but does a lot more hand motions than talking.

"Well, it's not exactly like I've been royalty since birth, Sadie." I roll my eyes.

"Neither have I." She points out.

"But you work with royalty," I counter.

Sadie pauses.

"Touché. Now, come. We need to make you look spectacular!"

Probably forty friggin years later.

"Sadie!" I whine. "My head hurts when you do that!"

She reminds me so much of Luna, I almost cry.

"Shut up and let me work, hoe." Sadie grumbles, curling the last of my hair.

"Why can't I go in sweats? That's easier!" I protest.

"Because that is frowned upon by some of the countries that are joining us tonight."

"Countries?" I inquire.

"Yes. This is an international event, Hadley. Dukes and duchesses and kings and queens and princes and princesses - "

"Use a comma at one point, please." I interrupt her sarcastically.

"Anyways," Sadie continues pointedly. "Your wedding is huge - "

"Hadley." A voice sounds form the door.

"Parker?" I question.

Sadie tosses an apologetic look towards Parker and fiddles with my hair.

"We're almost done here." She murmurs, plucking a hair tie from the vanity. Sadie wraps the curls into a messy bun that sits atop my head perfectly.

I love buns.

"Stand." Sadie orders.

I stand from the swivel chair and hike up my dress a little to face the mirror.