Chapter 28

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENTS AT THE END OF THE CHAPTER.
P L E A S E R E A D .

✖️not edited✖️

"You might have to suck in a little, sweetie," Autumn grunts, attempting to tighten the dress around my waist.

"I can't." I breathe. "That's as far as I can go."

Autumn steps away from me, wiping her forehead sarcastically.

"First order of business: lay off on the bacon and muffins." Autumn orders.

I let out a garbled whine-slash-cry and a tear falls down my cheek.

"But my bacon," I whisper.

Autumn stares blandly at me, her eyes devoid of emotion.

"Hadley, your obsession can't possibly be healthy." She snorts.

"Maybe not, but it's still my bacon." I protest.

Autumn rolls her eyes and motions for me to take the dress off. I stare at her expectantly.

"Hadley, you're going to become my daughter-in-law, I suggest you become familiar with changing in front of me." Autumn raises an eyebrow.

"But I don't wanna," I whine.

"I've never had a daughter, Hadley. I want to be able to do mother-daughter things with you." Autumn draws the sympathy card.

I sigh in defeat.

"Fine, but we're starting slowly. So just...turn around this time." I compromise.

Autumn groans in despair but turns around.

"Happy?" she asks sarcastically.

"Preferable," I shrug, yanking the trial wedding dress off my body. Once it's on the floor, I quickly seize my clothes from the bench. I throw on my hoodie and jeans before Autumn gets tired of waiting and turns around.

"Are you done yet?" Autumn whines.

"Yeah (ugh), hang (ugh) on." I grunt, shimmying into my pants.

Autumn turns around and looks to me in disapproval.

"That hoodie looks as old as I am, Hadley." She chastises.

"It probably is," I agree, looking down at the old Bon Jovi print my dad favored. "But it's perfectly old."

"One of the vintage lovers, eh?" Autumn smirks. "Me too." She winks.

I nod solemnly before smiling at the manager who assisted us. She smiles back and I walk out, plopping into the limousine Autumn insisted on bringing. Autumn slides in next to me, signaling the driver to head back to the palace.

"I'm sure we'll find you a dress," Autumn assures me.

"They all either suck or are for girls who are skinnier than a piece of paper." I huff, staring down at my bacon-filled stomach.

"Don't give up hope," Autumn asserts.

"Hope only makes my expectations higher," I sigh, "and high expectations only let me down."

"You have such a pessimistic view on life," Autumn states with irritation.

"I'm not a pessimist if I'm being realistic about it." I retort.

"Look!" Autumn gasps, pointing out the window to a bridal shop. "Leonard! Stop the car!"

The limousine idles to a stop on the curb, the driver turning the limo off.