Chapter 1: Expectations

"I wanted play death, thought I could do this on my own"

Song: Sia - Helium

I wouldn't say that I've had it hard in my life but it hasn't been easy. It's just me and my mom, I can't say that I regret working late every night because she did it without complaining. She provided for me when Dad left, she made sure I had a roof over my head, food to eat and clothes to wear, I love her and she's everything and more that I aspire to be.

"Tia? Honey.... she can see you now"

"Thank you Grace"

"No problem sweety, call me if you need anything"

"I will Grace, thank you"

I enter the moms hospital room, it's been about a year now she's been stuck here and I want nothing more than for her to be free... to live.

"Mom? How are you?"

"I'm good honey, how's work?"

"Same old, same old"

"Tia...."

"Yes, mom?"

"I want you to promise me something..."

"No..Mom. Not this agai---"

"NO! Tia listen to me. Promise me"

"Okay..."

Mom starts to sit up, pain evident on her face.

"Tia, if there is one thing I'm thankful for is for God blessing me with you. I want you to promise me that you'll be happy, that you'll try to stop worrying and start living....for me?"

I look at mom and know that she doesn't have long left, it eats away at me and holding it together has never been this hard... but I can't promise that especially when all I can do is worry... so I promise her the next best thing...

"I'll try mom.."

"That's my girl, I love you sweetheart "

I reach for her hand...

"I love you too"

But I know better than anyone that nothing lasts forever...

Song: Lloysio - What Now (cover)

NEXT DAY....