The Hope And The Shot

Playlist for this chapter -
1) War of hearts -  Ruelle
2) Clarity - Zedd ft.  Foxes
3) Heaven -  Troy Sivan ft. Betty who

A/n- Vote, comment, share!!
Have tried a bit of angst over here!
All kinds of constructive criticism is welcomed and appreciated
Only the typos belong to us!
Hope you like it 😊

~*~*~*~*~

She ran towards him, covering the distance between them. Once the first tear broke free, the others followed in an unbroken stream- she started crying, knowing that all that she ever wanted was back right in front of her.

Half her life, she waited for Steve.

Hoping... That somehow, in some way he would wake up and come to her one day- out of the blue and ask her for a dance; the one that she owed him. The time she wanted to spend with him was finally back.

He was so close. She could see the fine lines of worry on his forehead. The gentle, yet firm gaze, the guarded expression. His blue eyes,the slightly crooked nose, the bow shaped lips. She could smell the war, blood and death on him. Not his blood, she knew. She just knew.

Yet... He was distant. It was in his stance, his body slightly angling away from her. Signs of mistrust. The uniform, blue and red, signature American colours, with his shield on his back, smelling like war and home, all at once.

He was close, yet so far away. Back then, they were bound by their duties, and their missions. And today, they were bound by fear. And only they could perish the distance between them. But the fear forced them to maintain the distance.

She wanted to hold him by his shoulders and shake some sense into him. To make him see, that maybe, this was what the universe wanted. After all, she still owed him a dance.

As she studied him, she wanted to see the same joy in his eyes, but, beyond the relief and the happiness, she could see the larger amount of doubt. The unasked question echoed in the silence - is she really Peggy?

There was also a hint of confusion in his expressions, which was obvious. He waited for a moment to allow Peggy to stop her crying -  always the gentleman, he was.

"who are you?", he said with cold conviction , now clear in his voice- as if he didn't believe that it was Peggy. As if he was forcing himself to be doubtful, when all he wanted to do was to hug her, and finally be able to trust someone, completely.

Peggy missed the words while lost in her own world and staring into his unguarded, expressive blue eyes that told her a completely different story- i really want to believe that it's you- my special girl; but some things are too good to be true.

Steve repeated the accusatory question with a higher voice, as if he was ready for a war if she didn't answer. His eyes were now guarded- he didn't trust her anymore and the cold expression on his face along with the words hit her like a brick on head.

He looked at the new watch that she was wearing- with golden belt and grey model of the old times. It was broken. It was lost during her last mission with Steve. How was she wearing it right now?

  And how did this unknown girl get the exact same watch with a slight crack, at the edge, almost the same as the one on Peggy's watch, only a few observant eyes could notice ?

For a moment, Steve thought it was a dream that could never be true. He's not ready to believe that it could really be true- it's surely a dream, he thought; eventhough he knew for a fact that a dream can never have clocks.

"you are not Peggy, you can never be. Who are you, and where is Peggy? ", this time the sentence was clearly warning the woman in front of him who looked exactly like young Peggy.