The Bullet And The Bruise

A/N-
Mostly a filler chapter!
Keyword - mostly
You know the drill
Vote, comment, share!! 💕💕

Playlist for the chapter -
1)Million reasons - Lady Gaga
2)Malibu - Miley Cyrus
3) Just give me a reason - P¡nk ft. Nate Ruess
4) Rain- The script
5) Reminding Me-Shawn Hook ft. Vanessa Hudgens
6) Sandcastles - Beyoncé

~*~*~*~*~*

Peggy opened her eyes, regaining consciousness. She was in a hospital, she realized. The plain white sheets and the robes of the hospital reminded her of the nursing home.

Back to square one, all over again. The dull ache in her shoulder was the only thing that was different. She'd been shot, and from the small amount of pain, she estimated that she'd been there for almost a week. All her muscles were slightly stiff from the disuse.

She still remembered that one time Steve came to visit her. Those blue eyes full of concern. Of course, she only remembered snippets of that conversation, all thanks to her dementia, but the haunting look in his eyes was a thing that even her forgetful mind couldn't dare to dismember. The same blue eyes were probably staring at her from the bedside. Turning towards him slowly , she looked at him.

He was not in his usual uniform, those blue eyes covered by sunglasses and a black cap, black hoodie on grey T-shirt and jeans, totally casual. The incognito getup was a bit surprising for her. Seeing her wake up, he removed his sunglasses and began to get up.

Her shoulder was still throbbing, the pain very less, but always persistent. Keeping her eyes on him, she tried sitting up on the bed.

"Careful, Peggy ", he said, watching her struggling with the basic task of getting up. He felt partly responsible for causing her pain and guilt coursed through him for the millionth time. Helping her sit up, he wondered whether she knew .

Whether she knew that he still wanted to believe in her. That he was struggling with trusting her, or anyone, in fact because of the dozens of betrayal he'd been prey to. And that, somehow, unwillingly he believed her. His heart believed her.

"Thank you " she smirked, he hadn't even noticed what he'd just said. That he'd called her Peggy.

Silence, that was the only thing that filled the room . None of them had any words; it was a sweet disaster for her and a shocking surprise for him.

"So-" she hesitated, trying to find the right words "umm.. " she continued, "did you find out, who tried to kill me?"

"He ran away", he said, still guilty and mostly furious at himself.

" I know it's disappointing but-", he continued, his voice low and full of self-loathing, but Peggy interrupted him, mid-sentence with a hand wave,signaling 'doesn't matter'.

"It's not ", she gave him a sympathetic smile and he was very confused at this point by her smile. Why wasn't she angry at him? He knew that he would've been angry if the positions were. He'd failed to catch the person who tried to kill her.

"It's not that disappointing Steve. The important thing is that you believe me. " Peggy stated calmly.

" Who said that I believe you?", there was  an edge of rudeness in his voice and rage, visible on his face.

"Everyone thinks that I should believe you and the other agents, but I don't ", he said, though both of them knew that those words were empty now.

"I know that", this time, she wasn't the Peggy who asked for trust or kindness. This time she was the old (young) Peggy, confident, and in control of her emotions. Being Agent Margaret Peggy Carter was never easy.