2.

Claudia and Sarah-Jane both placed a hand on Ophelia's shoulder

Claudia and Sarah-Jane both placed a hand on Ophelia's shoulder. They nodded once at her, smiling gently. Ophelia suddenly felt as if she couldn't breathe despite the air she was successfully inhaling.

Her mother had really told the princess she could be her maid? It would definitely be of help to her family's income so she could somewhat understand. But there was a lot of responsibility and effort to go along with it. Longer work days and much less sleep weren't even the half of it.

Ophelia was a youthful girl who didn't like to be tied down and refrained from doing what she pleases when she pleases. But Ophelia was also a very adventurous girl and there was no doubt she would find an adventure in working as Princess Aaliyah's private maid.

"Would you become my personal maid, Ophelia?" Princess Aaliyah stepped closer to Ophelia. The rest of the workers watched on in silence. "I understand that it is a lot for me to ask of you so suddenly."

"Of course, Your Highness," said Ophelia, softly. How could she say no to the princess?

Prince Shawn placed a hand on Princess Aaliyah's shoulder, his eyes briefly meeting Ophelia's once more. She wondered if he remembered these barely-there moments just as she did. The prince whispers into his younger sister's ear before letting out an almost inaudible sigh of fatigue before turning and swiftly making his way out of the room.

The princess takes gentle hold of Ophelia's forearm, nodding once at each of her friends with a kind yet forced smile. Ophelia took note of the way her shoulders were slumped more than usual and she also took notice of the lag in her step. It was highly unlikely any other person would take such notice, so the princess let herself go just a little bit. Besides's there was nobody important she was going to meet in the staff common room.

"I apologize for asking so much of you on such short notice," Princess Aaliyah said as she walked out and into the long hallway with Ophelia by her side. "It is a lot to ask of you so suddenly."

"Princess Aaliyah," Ophelia started, feeling bad for the strong and deserving princess. "There really is no need for you to apologize. I'm here to help as much as you may need." She avoided making eye contact with the princess. Her eyes would have given away how nervous and hesitant she truly was about her promotion. If she made any mistakes, she could cost her whole family their jobs.

"There is a lot I need to tell you. Analise had been my maid for several years. It was a real shame she never felt as close to me as I felt to her," said the princess, slowly. Ophelia followed beside her as they were now a few stepped further away from the common room.

Ophelia simply nodded in response. Being in the presence of the princess was hard for her to grasp but this was surreal. She walked with her head bowed slightly as the princess walked with her head held high. Ophelia couldn't let herself forget that she was still only a servant girl.

"I wake up at eight in the morning, everyday of the week," said the princess, turning a corner. "I usually have something ready from my closet by then for me to wear to breakfast with my parents and brother. Once you've helped me in my bedroom, you could head down to help prepare the meal. I'm sure you would like to spend some time with your mother in the mornings. Of course, since you will be moving into Analise's old quarters later tonight."