5.

Ophelia could hear Prince Shawn's footsteps behind her and she almost wanted to squeal because he was actually following her

Ophelia could hear Prince Shawn's footsteps behind her and she almost wanted to squeal because he was actually following her. He was by her side in two long strides and in another two they were in front of her door.

"Can I help you, Your Highness?"

"I actually need your help with something, yes," Prince Shawn said. "Is it alright if I speak to you in your quarters?"

Ophelia awkwardly nodded, pushing open the door and allowing him in. She watches as he glances around her room, fiddling with the cufflinks at his wrist. His back was straight and his head was held high as Ophelia stepped around him and put her new uniform away safely.

"What do the commoners think of the monarchy?" The prince blurts, frowning gently. "You're the only person I can ask without formalities."

"They think well of you and your sister, Your Highness," Ophelia told him, her voice soft as she made shy eyes contact with him.

"And my parents? Their King and Queen?" Shawn frowned as she once again refused to call him by his name.

"There are many unsolved problems in the villages," Ophelia told him, sitting herself down on the edge of her bed. "Taxes are being paid and are being increased yet there have been no changes to the way people are living. The money that we pay the monarchy isn't giving us clean water, education nor are we able to keep roofs over our heads."

Shawn sighs, wiping his palms over his face and taking a seat beside Ophelia. "They aren't happy with the monarchy."

"Slavery, human trafficking," Ophelia mutters, noticing the prince visibly wince. "they're still legal. I mean no respect, but the villages are being run into the grounds."

"The monarchy is supposed to make the country a safer and stronger nation." Shawn bites his lip. "My parents are doing the opposite."

Ophelia looks at him. "Your High-"

"Shawn," the prince cuts her off, mentally scolding himself for doing so. "Please, Ophelia. You don't need to address me as your superior."

Ophelia had hoped she could ignore the taste of the tension that filled the air when she was with Shawn. There was something that drew them together and they could both feel it. It almost scared Ophelia. The prince's request for her to call him by his name seemed to be pushing them to the next level of intimacy.

"Shawn," Ophelie spluttered, blushing at the smile that the prince gave her. He loved the way his name sounded when it fell from her lips. "Why are you asking me this?"

"I-I trust you, Ophelia. I don't know if I should but I do," he sighs, taking one of her hands in his.

Ophelia's breath hitches at the motion and she pulls her hand back in a swift movement. She winces as he frowns. Just the sight of the prince drove her half insane and she felt so much attraction to him when he would speak to or touch her.

Ophelia definitely had feelings for the prince. And it was only now that she had finally let herself accept it. She didn't understand how it happened so soon but she did understand that nothing would ever be able to grow between the two of them.

Her heart felt like it would explode. Had she honestly grown feelings for the prince? She took a minute to mentally scold herself for not catching and stopping said feelings earlier on. Ophelia's stomach turned at the disappointed look on Shawn's face.

"I really don't think we should be, um," Ophelia stuttered. "seeing each other like this. You're the prince and I'm a servant; I shouldn't even be looking you in the eyes."

"Nonsense," Shawn scoffed. "None of that matters. You're a person and I'm a person. There's nothing wrong with us liking each other."

"But-"

"I need you to let it go, Ophelia Grace," Shawn looks directly into her eyes, once again taking her hands in his own. He shivers at the contact. "When it's just me and you; it's just a normal boy and a normal girl."

Ophelia tries to keep her breathing steady. Her mind was racing and her thoughts were scrambled. The soft touch of the prince's hand made her skin tingle and the look he had in his eyes made her spine tickle.

"A normal boy and a normal girl," Ophelia repeated, softly smiling as she returned his gaze. She pushed all of the flashing 'stop' signs an all of her doubts to the back of her mind.

A knock on her door caused the both of them to jump apart. hands still loosely holding each other as they sent each other worried looks. Ophelia winced, knowing that it would not be acceptable for her to be so intimate with the prince.

Ophelia cleared her throat. "Come in."

Shawn sucked in a breath as he watched the door slightly open. A pair of expensive high-heeled shoes was the first thing they had noticed. Ophelia's stomach filled with dread as Princess Royal stepped in, her expression unamused. She was the King's sister and Shawn's aunt so it was natural that Ophelia could see Shawn small bits of her facial features.

"Aaliyah said you walked out with the maid." She glared at Ophelia. "I hoped it wasn't true."

Her eyes fell to their hands; still linked together. Ophelia felt her stomach drop as her expression turned sour. Shawn was convinced that if he looked hard enough, he would see smoke coming out of her ears. The lady huffed, angrily crossing her arms over her chest. And if looks could kill, Ophelia was certain she'd be long gone.

"Aunt Asto-" Shawn started, only to be cut short by his aunt raising her perfectly manicured hand. He gulped down his nerves and held his head high, pulling Ophelia closer to him subtly as he tightened his grip on her hand.

"I don't want to hear it," she growled. The duchess drowned her words in venom as she let her gaze fall to Ophelia. "Thought you were smarter than to be alone with a servant girl. Especially in such a manner."

Shawn frowned, shaking his head. "What's wrong with being friends with Ophelia, Aunt Astoria?"

"None of this is friendly," Astoria rolled her eyes at Shawn, flicking two fingers at him. "Get up. Your father wants you in court. Not wasting your time with some poor village girl."

With a sigh, Shawn let go of Ophelia's hand, sending her an apologetic look as he stood up and made his way to the door. His aunt let her sour gaze linger on Ophelia for longer than necessary, her eyes shining with distaste as she snickered. She followed Shawn out, fixing her gown as she moved.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

wow it took me a while to update this yeesh. I've been feeling a bit down in the dumps over the past day or two and haven't been able to write much. Hopefully, I'll get the next part up sooner. Also, I always appreciate feedback so please feel free to leave some!

~ Hannah