6.

"What was that about, boy?" Astoria pressed, pulling Ophelia's door shut with a slam

"I was only speaking to her." Shawn rolled his eyes. "There's nothing wrong with that."

"Please, you'd have to be blind not to see the way you look at her," Astoria turned her head to face him as they walked, giving him a stern and threatening look. "It has to stop. Now. Before you get too carried away."

"Aunt Astoria," Shawn stops walking, his expression hardening. "That is not up to you. Maybe I do like her in that way-why should I not?"

"You can't-"

"I'm the prince," Shawn says through gritted teeth. "I can have whatever I want. And whoever I want."

The duchess rolled her eyes. "You're a Royal."

"And?"

"You can't just make friends with the servants." Astoria pushed her faded brown hair over her shoulder. She stopped Shawn in front of the courtroom, sending a final stern look. The prince just scoffed, turning away from her and stepping through the door.

Ophelia could feel the pounding of her heart as she stared at her lap. She was once again in the princess' room, waiting as she pulled her hair out of her braid. Ophelia's leg bounced nervously.

The Princess Royal was by far one of the most intimidating people Ophelia had ever met. Her frown seemed to be permanently etched onto her face and she had a concerning glint in her blue eyes.

The princess let out a sigh. "I'm sorry I told my aunt that Shawn was with you."

"Oh." Ophelia shook her head. "There's no need to say sorry, Your Highness." She didn't know how to react to the princess' apology. So, she had said the first thing that came to her mind.

"My aunt is," the princess paused. "concerning, to say the least. No one ever believes me when I say that she's abusing her wealth and power."

"I wouldn't know," said Ophelia, moving to begin folding the princess' discarded morning wear. "but from the way she looked at me, I think she would much rather me nonexistent."

"She would much rather prefer many people nonexistent," the princess said through partially shut lips. She dabbed on a light pink stain on her lips. "especially those who have more power than her."

Ophelia placed the folded clothing onto a laundry trolley, turning to face Princess Aaliyah. The princess glanced up at her, pulling her straight hair over her shoulder. Ophelia stood awkwardly, awaiting her next instructions.

"Walk with me to my next place of duty?" The princess gently took hold of Ophelia's arm with a smile, her shoulders and back straight as a sword. Ophelia blinked, sheepishly nodding.

"My brother really likes you." The princess resisted the urge to squint under the sunlight that streamed in through the windows of the hallways. "Although I must admit, it was surprisingly fast."

"That's what I've been thinking," Ophelia said. She figured that she had ought to be one hundred percent truthful with the princess.

"You must not doubt his feelings for you, Ophelia," the princess sighed. "I can see it in your eyes."

Ophelia stayed silent so the princess carried on. "There is definitely controversy with your status and ours. But there is still a chance there are still some loopholes."

"Are you implying that-"

"I don't mean-I'm not talking about a mistress." Princess Aaliyah shakes her head. "Shawn would figure out a faithful and moral way to make things work."

"This is all happening too fast for me, Your Highness." Ophelia let herself still for a second before she regained and matched the princess' pace.

"I can understand that," she replied, sending Ophelia a sympathetic smile. "Shawn has just turned nineteen, Ophelia. The court have already started to push him for marriage. It's unusual for an heir to the throne to stay a bachelor for much longer."

"They would never approve of us, Your Highness."

"That would not stop my brother." The princess stopped in front of a door, turning to face Ophelia. "Nothing would be able to stop him. I'll see you before the evening, Ophelia."

Ophelia then made her way to the kitchen, her eyes following the detail of the hallway's architecture. The castle was beautiful to the eye. It was a surprisingly short walk to the kitchen and that gave Ophelia enough time to spend with her mother.

She avoided the eye of anybody who wasn't the castle staff, her head dipped slightly as she made sure to stay out of their way. Luckily, the kitchen wasn't too far away and she would soon get there.

Ophelia's mind wandered. She was confused. Did the prince really like her in such a way? Why was he acting as if he'd known her for longer? Ophelia was way beyond confused when it came to the prince.

"I can feel you stressing about something, Ophelia." The sound of Gauri's voice was enough to soothe her shaky hands.

"I just walked in. Is it that obvious?" Ophelia sighed, stepping towards her mother and wrapping her arms around her in a tight hug. Her eyes flickered to Sarah-Jane and Andrew who stood smiling on the other side of the spacious kitchen.

"I'm your mother," Gauri smiled. "It may not be obvious to anyone else but it will always be obvious to me."

"It's just-"

"Ophelia!" Sarah-Jane cut her off from replying to her mother, scurrying over and pulling her away. Andrew waved as Sarah-Jane brought her to where he was, his arms and hands covered in baking flour. Ophelia fought the urge to sneeze in his face.

"How was it working for the princess?" Andrew smirked, rolling out at the dough on the counter in front of him. Ophelia bit her lip, wondering how to answer without lying too much.

"Interesting, so far," Ophelia replied. "But it's barely been two days so there's nothing much I can say."

"I heard that the prince escorted you back to your new quarters," Sarah-Jane giggled, the corners of her lips turned upwards. Her fiery red hair was pulled back into a ponytail but there were still strands that fell over her face.

"Oh," Ophelia bit her tongue, surprised that Sarah-Jane had heard of her encounter with the prince. "Yes, Sh-Prince Shawn only walked me to my room."

"How did it-"

"She's not going to tell you much else, S.J." Andrew smirked. "She's got that uncomfortable-secret-keeping face that she gets when she tries to keep something from us."

Ophelia faked a gasp, her hand flying to her chest in mock hurt. "I do not have an uncomfortable-secret-keeping face!"

"You actually do," laughed Sarah-Jane. She decided not to press Ophelia on the subject, knowing that she would tell her when she wanted to. So, she didn't mention it afterwards.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

two updates in two hours yeet