The Game of Gay Canines

Summary: Remus snaps and insists that he is not "boring" or a "chicken", thank you very much. Sirius dares him to a game of gay chicken to prove it. (Fluff; a gift fic for Wereflamingo at AO3, First published February 28th 2017 in Archive of Our Own)

Remus blamed James. If James had been there in the dorm and not with Lily, Sirius would not have whined and whined at Remus about being bored. He wouldn't have whined about Remus being boring, and Remus, being tipsy and also slightly hurt by the words and the comparison to their other friends, wouldn't have snapped and claimed that he was not boring.

And then Sirius wouldn't have listed all the reasons why he thought Remus was, indeed, boring. Common theme being that Remus was "too sensible" to be "fun" and had "too much of a common sense" as he always left the parties when all the "good stuff" happened.

And then, if James had been there, and all of that wouldn't have happened, Remus wouldn't have snapped and wouldn't have claimed that he too could be fun and he definitely wouldn't have dared Sirius to bring it on.

James' fault. All of it.

Remus knew that there was no backing away now, as Sirius considered him with a mad glean in his eyes. And because Remus was too tipsy and too angry at himself for letting Sirius pester him to this point and because he didn't want to blame himself, he blamed James instead.

"You could be fun too?" asked Sirius skeptically. "Nah. I think you'd be too chicken to be fun."

"I'm not a chicken", growled Remus, who felt like he was digging his grave deeper. "We have booze. We have two people; us. Let's have that party now and let's have all that fucking good stuff now, since you are so insistent on it."

"Fine", said Sirius, whose smile looked dangerous. "Since you insist."

Sirius stood up from his bed and walked over to Remus'. He sat down at the end of Remus' bed.

"So what fun did you have last weekend?" asked Remus. "Truth or Dare? Spin the bottle? Some other twelve year olds' game?"

"We did play some 'spin the bottle'", said Sirius and smirked. "But it'd be a little pointless when there's just a two of us. And I think you'd be too chicken for it anyway. The moment the bottle landed on you, you would bolt out."

"I wouldn't", hissed Remus. He usually didn't get this riled up, not even by Sirius, but this was exactly the reason why he would usually be 'sensible' and leave the parties before he had a chance to get too drunk. This close to the moon his temper was bad enough already, and adding some alcohol to the mix... made him apparently let Sirius goad him into playing silly games.

"So you say", said Sirius lightly, still smirking. "Well. We did play one other game too... Maybe we should play that and see how chicken you are, hmm?"

Remus glared at Sirius, waiting him to out with it.

"Let's play a game of gay chicken, shall we?"

Remus snorted derisively, although his heart had started to beat a bit faster. "That's the most stupid name of a game I have ever heard."

"It's a good game to see which one of us has more balls", said Sirius. "Me and Prongs were dared to play it, and naturally I won, but I bet you won't last even as long as he did. "

"I bet I will", said Remus stubbornly. "How it's played?"

Sirius didn't answer him immediately - instead he looked over Remus and licked his lips. Then Sirius smiled at him, a lazy slow smile that made Remus' heart twist, and rose to crawl over. Remus could only stare as Sirius raised his hand and then stroked Remus' hair. Sirius stopped after a moment, but stayed where he was and smirked at Remus' wide eyes.