Small steps

Summary: Remus has taken up a personal mission to better the world and speak on behalf of werewolves and other misunderstood dark creatures. Sirius thinks it's stupid. (Wolfstar; Activist!Remus and Counter-productively-protective-angry-boyfriend!Sirius; Fighting & making up; Rating for Sirius's foul language; betaed by Wereflamingo and NachoDiablo; also published on December 9th in Archive of Our Own and Fanfiction.net)

The alley behind the old, pretentious, fucking useless building full of similar kinds of people was dark. Sirius was lighting up his fourth cigarette when the backdoor next to him opened.

Remus stepped out of the building, looking weary.

Sirius wanted to punch his boyfriend's stupid, tired face. He congratulated himself on his restraint as instead he looked away with a scoff and kicked the empty soda can on the ground.

As the can rolled away, clanging loudly, Remus sighed, coming over to stand next to Sirius.

His silence was getting on Sirius's nerves. "The hostess didn't even mention your name," Sirius spat. "Introduced you as one of the beasts. Did you see her fucking face? What a condescending stupid bitch. And when she giggled and asked you whether you could control your bloodthirst in the room with so many humans! What did she think you are? A bloody vampire? "

Remus opened his mouth, surely wanting to remind Sirius to watch his tone about vampires, or some other shit that Sirius couldn't have cared less about right now. Feeling even more angry and frustrated, Sirius continued on with his rant.

"You whored yourself out to give those people some cheap thrills, give them a chance to see a werewolf. They didn't even listen to any of your words, most of them seemed to be too busy snickering to each other, or thinking of what they'd tell their friends later. 'Oh, there was a real werewolf there, oh how exciting! It knew how to speak even, how wonderous! Wonder what other tricks it could do?' Why the fuck did you agree to this? That whole thing was so fucking pointless and humiliating! You should have-"

"If you hadn't stormed off halfway through it, you wouldn't have missed what happened afterwards ," Remus interrupted him. Sirius felt a small twisted victory - finally Remus looked angry, not just resigned and exhausted and so fucking passive. His victory was shadowed though by how Remus seemed mostly pissed off at Sirius, not at the unfairness of the world like he should have been. "You wouldn't think it was all 'pointless'. It's small steps, Pads, even if frustratingly small steps. But honestly, it was a big thing that they even invited me to be there today."

Sirius rolled his eyes. Remus's mouth tightened. Sirius could practically see him counting to ten before he continued. "You missed the mother of a young werewolf who came to thank me. You missed a potion maker who wanted to discuss the recipe she has been working on. You missed a man who came to genuinely thank me for giving him another perspective and something to think about. I know that the majority of the people there either didn't think much of me, or were offended that I had a nerve to step inside that building, and I certainly didn't manage to change their views with just a few words, but... I wasn't speaking there for them . I was there to reach out to those who could listen and understand. I was there to pave the way for others."

Sirius scoffed. "Shut up, Moony, and stop throwing your fancy words and optimism at me. It was a bullshit event, and you know it as well as I do. Even those wellwishers will just fucking forget about you tomorrow. And if some people can't see the truth on their own, you shouldn't be the one sacrificing yourself to compensate for their stupidity."