Remus' crush

Summary: Remus has an unrequited crush, and James has some advice. (Humour/pre-slash?; First published February 22nd 2017; Originally intended to work as a one shot, and I think it works best like that, but the fic has two more chapters in AO3 if you are interested.)

It's four in the morning when James comes back to the dorm where Gryffindor's seventh year boys live. He stands for a moment in the middle of the room, listening to Peter's snores and watching Remus' drawn curtains, before he takes his cloak off. He takes a gulp from a bottle of Ogden's that he is carrying - for a little courage - and then stashes both the bottle and his cloak in his trunk and walks over to Remus' bed and draws the curtains open.

Remus is sleeping peacefully and for a moment James thinks that maybe he should let him be and just go back to his own bed and sleep while he still can. But no, he knows that now's the time for the intervention he has been planning for a while.

He pushes at Remus' legs and hisses: "Move over, Moony."

Remus wakes up with a start and manages to kick James in the stomach. Groaning, James thinks that maybe he deserved that.

"What- James? What time is it?" asks Remus, fumbling for his wand, hair tussled and voice groggy from sleep.

"Shhh," James hisses, "Worms is sleeping."

Remus glances over at Wormtail's bed and then scoots over to give James room to sit on his bed. James sits down on the foot of the bed, pulling his legs on it too and then draws the curtains.

Remus has found his wand and suddenly his face is illuminated by the light of Lumos. James blinks several times, eyes adjusting to the light.

"What is it?" asks Remus, little flushed and looking at him concerned, and then sniffing the air: "Have you been drinking?"

"Not much. Was in Hogsmead with Pads." He runs his hand through his hair, wondering why he hadn't planned this far, about what he was actually supposed to say to Remus now that he had him for himself. Being slightly tipsy and exhausted from the lack of sleep isn't helping and his brains is not offering any suggestion for the conversation starters. "Look. I wanted to talk with you."

Remus is looking at him, staring almost. "And it couldn't have waited for tomorrow?"

"No," says James. "Look", he says again, and then repeats it yet one more time to just buy himself a little more time to get his words straight. "Look. My shoes stank of dog piss this morning. And it was not okay."

Remus blinks several times and James thinks he looks like an owl. "Um, okay?"

"No, not okay," says James emphatically, since Remus is missing the point. "My point is... I- Umm- I've seen you look." He looks at Remus, raising his eyebrows suggestively, and Remus blushes and looks away, and James continues, with the courage from the Firewhiskey. "You know. At me."

Remus is squirming. "James..." he says pleadingly.

"I'm not mad," James assures him and pats Remus' knee. "It's really flattering."

Remus groans and hides his face in his hands.

"I should actually thank you, I think Lily agreed to that date with me only because she started to worry you'd steal me away first."

"I very much doubt that," a red faced Remus mutters from behind his hands.

"Oh, I don't. But the thing is, you are a fetching bloke and all, Moons, but... Umm... You are a bloke, you know."