False accusations

Summary: It's December 1981 and Sirius has his hands full with Harry, when one afternoon he receives an unexpected visit from Child Protection Services. (Pre-slash kid fic; gift fic for Slytherinpansexualpride in Archive of Our Own; betaed by Wereflamingo at AO3, who also writes Wolfstar fics - be sure to check them out!; First published on March 5th in Archive of Our Own.)

It was a Friday afternoon when Sirius heard a knock on the door.

Whoever it was behind the door had probably been knocking there for a while. The door bell had been broken for few days and it was hard to hear anything over Harry's crying. Sirius carried the wailing toddler from the kitchen with him to the door - when Harry was in this mood, he couldn't be left alone anywhere, or he would just start breaking stuff to get Sirius to come back to pay attention to him and his temper tantrum.

With understandably thinned nerves, Sirius opened the door - a red faced toddler under his arm kicking and wriggling - and pretty much snarled at the man standing behind the door: "What is it?"

The unfamiliar man, who was wearing a brown cardigan and looked around Sirius' age, or maybe little older, had a carefully neutral expression on his face. "I'm looking for Sirius Black."

"You found him." Sirius struggled to hold Harry. Only when a big orange cat ran past his legs to the corridor did Sirius remember that he had completely forgotten about the bloody creature. Cursing, he put Harry on the floor - where the little boy picked up a shoe and started to bang the floor with it while continuing his screaming - and shouted to the man over the noise: "One moment. Have to catch that bloody pest. Hold the door, will you?"

Without waiting for the answer, Sirius ran down the stairs after the cat. Luckily their flat was only on the second floor, and for once nobody had left the front door of the building open. Ginger glared at him accusingly as Sirius scooped up the fluffy beast and carried him firmly back up the stairs. It had been a month, and still the cat was determined to get out of Sirius' flat whenever it had a chance.

The man was waiting for him and holding the door open. One of Sirius' neighbours, a sour old lady next door, had opened her door and was complaining to the man about Harry's screaming. The man seemed to be apologizing for the noise just as Sirius came back up.

"Take your hearing aid off if you can't stand to hear a kid being a kid!" Sirius snarled at the woman, who glared at him and without a word slammed her door shut. Sirius turned to the man: "And you, come in, before these two make a mass escape."

Sirius stormed in and the man followed him, shutting the door. Sirius let Ginger down, and the cat ran away in a huff.

Harry was still screaming at the door and banging the floor. His voice had started to turn hoarse and he was swaying in a manner that meant that he hadn't taken a good breath in a while.

"Go sit in the living room, we'll be there in a sec," Sirius told the man and went to pick up his godson. Harry was becoming so tired of screaming that he didn't even try to struggle against being picked up.

While carrying the boy to the kitchen, Sirius stroked his back soothingly and murmured some nonsense to get Harry to finally calm down. He filled a plastic mug with some cool milk and grabbed some napkins, before going to the living room.

The man had sat down on the armchair. He looked calm and collected despite all the chaos going on around him. He considered Sirius with carefully distant politeness when he saw him come into the room. There was an official air about him, and Sirius now noticed the brown, battered old case the man had with him.