Chapter 2

That was the last time I saw my mother. At first, it hurt. A lot. But as I got older, I realized I was better off without her. She wasn't a kind or respectable woman. I have better people in my life now.

I remember the day she left me in the woods very well. When she didn't come back, I went looking for her. I got back to the parking lot and it was empty. I knew then she had left me.

So, I went back to that log and I cried for a while. I was scared and confused. After a while, my wolf took over. I shifted and wandered the woods for a while. I eventually found a bubbling stream and decided it was time for a drink. I stayed by the stream for quite a while, not sure where else to go. It was pretty and the water tasted good.

When I finally turned to go, I found myself nose to leg with a magnificent female wolf. She was silvery gray and much bigger than me. She was an alpha and she took me into her pack. She treated me like her daughter. From the first day, she was training me to behave, act and think like an alpha. There were twelve wolves in this pack, not counting the alphas or myself. Every now and then, maybe once or twice per day, I would shift to my human form and they would be leery, recognizing my scent but not my appearance. After a month or so, they came to accept it.

I finally found a home with the wolves and stayed with them for approximately two years. Real wolves grow much faster than I do. In those two years, the wolves that had been pups when I arrived were full grown and there I was, still a little pup.

One day in July, at the age of five, I was taking a walk in human form when I came across a young boy, around my age. His first question wasn't 'who are you?' or 'why are you out here?'. The first thing he asked me was, "Why are you naked?"

I only shrugged. I didn't have any clothes and I didn't see anything wrong with walking around naked.

He studied me for a moment before saying, "You're a werewolf. Just like me."

I remember saying, "Is that what I am?" because I didn't know.

He laughed, like what I had said was funny. "Didn't your parents tell you? Mine told me."

I shrugged again. "I don't have parents."

That statement shocked him and he decided I would have to meet his. I told him that I was being taken care of by a pack of regular wolves and his eyes got all wide as he gushed about how cool that was.

He introduced himself as Lee so I told him my name. Then he took me to his pack. I met his parents first. They were shocked when I explained my situation. They dressed me and took me directly to their alpha.

I made quite the first impression on the alphas. I had been groomed for two years to be an alpha and they could sense it, even though I was trained by regular wolves, not werewolves.

Lee's parents explained everything to them and they were amazed. They told me that regular wolves don't like werewolves and that if the alpha hadn't taken me in, I probably would have died

That was the day that a second pair of alphas took me in. Jason and Alice raised me as their own. Alice couldn't conceive, so they viewed me as their own personal miracle.

After that, my other pack would still come see me, but not often. We were friendly and kept each other up to date about the goings on in the forest, but we no longer belonged to the same pack. We became allies.

Lee and I became best friends along with his other buddies, Nate and Xena. We became an inseparable group and we still are. We attend a regular high school in the area. When school resumes in a few months, we will be juniors. School is easy for me. I pull straight A's even on top of all my pack business.

I rarely think about my mom anymore. My life is full and happy. I am glad she left me. I've found a new home, with people who accept and understand me. I couldn't ask for more because my life is perfect.