Chapter 8

The next day I was back to normal.  Training was boring, as Xena had said the night before, and tiring.  Dylan didn’t take it easy on us just because I had been injured earlier in the week.  He still trained us like he wanted to kill us.  Although when you think about it, he’s actually helping us stay alive and it only feels like he was trying to kill us. 

          I spent most of lifting talking to Ian since it didn’t really take much concentration.   Actually, I spent most of the training that day talking to Ian because basement training is really simple with the exception of sparring.  That I had to stop talking to Ian and pay attention so my friends didn’t completely kick my butt. 

          Jason updated me afterwards that he still hadn’t turned up any reasons for someone to want to kidnap me.  Nothing had changed there.  I could tell he was frustrated that he couldn’t figure it out and protect me.   He was talking to all the nearby alphas to make sure they were still in good standing with each other and asking if they knew any other reason a pack would want to kidnap me.  Nothing he did turned up any answers. 

          Alice was the way she always was, and that made me happy.  She knew the seriousness of the situation but she didn’t let it affect her attitude.  She stayed her bright and cheery self, bring up everyone else’s moods any time they were near her.

          For that reason, we all started hanging out in the kitchen with her.  Mostly Ian and I, but when Lee, Nate and Xena came over they would join us in the kitchen and we could all unwind and relax.  

          Finally on Sunday, we all got together and decided to go out for a run.  Jason agreed, only because all five of us were going and if the four of them couldn’t keep me safe, he didn’t know what could.  Or so he said.  We were happy to have something back to normal.  Well, Ian didn’t really feel that relief but he was happy to be out of the house for a while.

          “We’re free!” crowed Lee as we reached the woods.  “Let’s get out there and drop our human skins for our more natural forms!”

          We all hooted and hollered in agreement, before changing and running into the woods.  We did what we always did on our runs, chased small animals, played tag, played hide and seek, had races and wrestling matches, and more.  We were finally free to let loose after training and being stuck in the house for most of the week.

          And enjoy ourselves we did.  For a while we just let go and forgot about the danger and confusion of the week, choosing to be childish and have some fun. 

          That’s what I blame for what happened next.  Had we been alert and paying attention to our surroundings, nothing would have happened.  At least nothing as bad as what did happen. 

          We were rolling around, wrestling and making a racket when suddenly we were surrounded by eight werewolves.  We leapt to our feet to face them, forming our own circle formation.   We squared off for a while before one of the werewolves leapt at Nate.  Then it was a free for all.  We were outnumbered and outclassed.  These wolves were huge and before we knew what was happening, we were pinned.  The wolf above me looked down with a menacing grin, doubly scary on a wolf face.

          Another werewolf on the outskirts shifted and looked at us, held down by his wolves.  “Well, well, well,” he began.  “Look what we have here.  Jeremy’s daughter and her precious pack mates.”

          I felt shock as I realized it wasn’t something Jason had done that made them want me, but something my real father had done.  I didn’t even know the guy and they wanted to use me against him.  I got angry and let out a distress howl for the wolf pack. 

          The wolf on top of me was quick to latch his teeth to my throat, breaking the skin and drawing blood.  I heard Ian growl off to my left as he felt it, but there was nothing he could do. 

          The werewolf that had shifted to human form said, “Let’s go.  That’ll bring back up quickly.” The wolves above my friends stayed still but then the man came over and kicked me in the temple.  There was blinding pain and then…nothing. 

Hmmm...how much would you guys hate me if I just stopped updating right here for the day and left it alone for a while???  Well, don't worry, I won't do that to you...I'm pretty sure that if I did, my cousin would kill me anyway lol.  I think I may just put the entire book up for you guys today :)  Make sure to comment, vote and follow :)  I hope you guys enjoy the book!!