Chapter 12

Ian and I laid on that blanket and chatted until nightfall when we fell asleep in the middle of a conversation neither of us really remembered in the morning.

Jason woke us both before dawn by shaking our shoulders.  “It’s time to head out.  You good, Layla?” he asked me.

I nodded.  “Fine.  I can change without a problem.”

          “Good, get to it.”  He kissed my forehead, nodded to Ian and left the tent, probably to wake the people in the next tent.

          I kissed Ian quickly and got up to change.  Within minutes, Ian and I were exiting the tent in wolf form.  I could see the wolf pack off to the side, waiting for us to be ready to go.

          I’m going to go talk to the alpha for a moment.  I’ll be right back.

          The alpha was in the middle of the group of wolves and as I approached, they all came forward to greet me and let me know they were glad I was okay.  It took me five minutes to get to the alpha.

          I bumped his shoulder and got a lick on my snout in return.  I thanked him quickly for all his help getting me out of there.  He was happy to help and we chatted for a while longer before I headed over to where Nate, Lee, Xena, Ian, Jeremy and Jason were all waiting for me in wolf form.

          I could see the excitement in Lee’s eyes that I knew was from getting to see me with the wolf pack and I could read the amazement in Jeremy’s.

          I huffed at Jason, a sign even he knew meant that I was ready to go, as was the wolf pack.  With a loud, commanding bark, he gave the command to move.  As one the two packs took off, heading back towards our home.

          I ran in the middle of a circle made up of my friends, Jeremy and Jason, with the rest of both packs outside my tight circle.

          I let loose a joyful howl as we entered our own territory and was answered by a goodbye howl from the wolf pack as they split off to head their own way.  When we reached the house, the rest of my pack split in different directions to go to their houses.  The whole pack would meet tonight, but everyone was going home to eat, shower and rest beforehand.

          Jason scratched at the back door and Alice immediately opened it, a big, relieved smile on her face.  Seeing me she dropped to her knees and wrapped her arms tightly around my neck, sobbing into my shoulder.

          I shifted and hugged her back.  “I’m okay, I’m fine,” I murmured, trying to calm her down.

          “I know,” she replied in a choked voice.  “Let’s get you inside and cleaned up.”

          She kept one arm around my shoulders as she led me straight up to my room and the adjoining bathroom.  She started me a bath and got out soaps, towels and a bottle of bubble bath.

          “You get in there and you soak until the water’s cold,” she ordered me as she poured half of the giant bottle of bubble bath into the tub.  “I’m going to go finish making lunch and then bring you up a big, filling tray of it.”

          I laughed at her and gave her another hug.  “I swear I’m fine, Alice.  I’m not traumatized or anything.”

          “I know,” she answered, “but I’m still gonna fuss until I feel like stopping.”

          I laughed and kissed her cheek.  “And I love you for it.” She left and I sank into the tub with a happy sigh.  Her order not to get out until it was cold sounded like an excellent idea.

          Alice didn’t take long with the lunch tray she promised.  The water was still nice and hot when she came in with a tray of macaroni and a tuna fish sandwich. 

          She set the tray on the edge of the tub and pulled up a chair.  “So tell me everything,” she told me.

          I smiled and did as she said.  I told her everything that had happened since we had left for our run all the way up to us running through the backdoor a bare ten minutes ago. 

          “Jeremy is the keeper of the Lupus Necklace?” she asked in surprise. 

          I nodded.  “I didn’t know anything about it until Derek brought it up.”

          “It’s not all that well known, but Jason told me about it.  It’s pretty dangerous in the wrong hands.  Wolf packs generally don’t like werewolves but with that necklace you could command them to do anything and they wouldn’t be able to refuse or fight back.  That’s lethal power.”

          I nodded again.  “I figured as much.  That’s why I told Jeremy not to give it to Derek.  He’s the last person we need having control of the necklace.  He’s power hungry and cruel.”

          She made a face.  “It certainly seems so.  I can’t believe anyone could do what he did.  It’s just so evil.”

          I laughed. “There are some evil people in this world, Alice.”

          She laughed too.  “Oh, I know that, honey.  I just never expected one of them to come after you.  We’ve always had a pretty safe little pack here and I hate it that this happened to you.”

          “I’d better get used to it,” I replied with a grimace.  “As far as I know, I’m Jeremy’s only heir, so I’ll probably be its keeper one day.”

          “Do you want to be the keeper of it one day?” Alice asked me.

          It was a complicated question.  Yeah, the prestige may be cool, but look at the trouble it had already brought me.  It’s a serious responsibility.  “No,” I told her.  “I don’t want to be its keeper.  But I will if I have to, if only to protect the wolf pack and others.”

          Alice nodded in understanding.  “It’s a huge responsibility and it attracts some unsavory characters.  But if you can protect your family and loved ones, you feel like you have to.”

          I nodded back at her.  That was exactly how I felt. “I’d do anything to keep it out of Derek’s hands, or anyone like him.”

          Alice smiled softly, but she looked worried.  “Maybe we should keep Jeremy here.  He wants to get to know you and if he’s here we can help him keep the necklace safe.”

          “That’s a really good idea, Alice.  I would like to get to know him too, but you and Jason will always be my parents.  I don’t want you guys to worry that since I found him, I don’t need you guys anymore.  You still raised me and I’ll always be your daughter.”

          Tears sprang into Alice’s eyes and slowly rolled down her face.  Then she lunged forward to hug me, practically diving into the bathtub with me.  Sympathy tears streamed down my face and then we both laughed as we wiped our faces.

          “I love you so much, Layla,” Alice told me, taking my hand in both of hers.

          I smiled and put my other hand on top of hers.  “I love you too.  And I always will.”

          She hugged me again, stood up and handed me a robe.  “I think your bath is over.  Put on the robe and go get dressed.  The rest of the pack will be here in an hour. Plus, I kinda knocked your orange juice in the tub.” She gave a little embarrassed smile as I laughed at her.

          Looking down, I realized that she had indeed spilled my juice with her exuberant hug.