Chapter 10 - The Snowstorm

Emily stared out the window, watching the snow whirl outside. It had been cold for quite some time, but had not snowed until then. So far, it had been snowing the entire day, and did not look as though it would let up anytime soon. In fact, it looked as though a blizzard might hit. Patrick was concerned about making the daily trips to the barn if a snowstorm did come, and had strung a line from the house to the barn for him to follow in case the snow became too thick for visibility. He had heard of a farmer in the town a few miles north who had gotten lost on his own property in a blizzard. They had found him, days later, completely frozen on the opposite side of his property. Patrick vowed to never let that happen to him or anyone else he knew. He was constantly reminding his neighbors to string up their safety lines before the snow came, to avoid any more tragic losses.

Emily turned and sat down in the rocking chair, enjoying the warmth of the cracking fire. She picked up her knitting and began working on a pair of mittens that she had started earlier that morning. She glanced over at Janessa, who was busily working away at a math problem. Patrick was sitting next to her, softly coaching and instructing her. Miss Hawthorne, Janessa's new teacher, had gone to a prestigious teaching academy, and kept her school in tip-top shape. She did not tolerate Janessa's wild behavior, and had sent Janessa home multiple times because of it. Janessa constantly complained about Miss Hawthorne and her strict rules and regulations, but Patrick was relieved that Janessa's teacher kept the children accountable for their actions. The children were sent home with daily homework or lessons to review, but the homework was not exceedingly difficult or time-consuming. Miss Hawthorne realized that the children had chores and other responsibilities, and took that into consideration when planning homework and other assignments.

"Phew. This problem was hard," Janessa said, as she completed her math lesson. "Miss Hawthorne better be thankful I actually got it right this time," she said darkly.

"Janessa. Miss Hawthorne is only trying to give you all the best education possible. She's not trying to be mean," Patrick said with a chuckle.

"I know," Janessa replied. "I just hate all of her rules!" Emily looked over at her and smiled, chucking softly to herself. Janessa saw, and directed her next question at her.
"Don't you think she has silly rules and too much homework?" Janessa asked Emily.

Emily grinned. "I suppose she does give a lot of busywork, I'll give you that," she replied. "But you do seem to be learning a lot from her."

"I guess," Janessa replied carelessly, flopping down onto the floor next to Bob, who was stretched out before the fire.

A loud banging at the door interrupted their conversation. Emily, Janessa, and Old Bob jumped, and Patrick hurriedly went to answer the door. The neighbor's oldest son stood in the doorway, panting. The Patterson family lived about a half mile up the road, and Patrick was shocked to see the young boy out in the snowstorm.

"George Patterson, come in, come in," Patrick exclaimed, ushering the boy into the house. "Is something the matter? Why are you out in the storm, Son?"

The boy nearly staggered into the house, still breathing heavily. "Ma sent me over to fetch you. We need your help. We can't find Pa."

"What do you mean?" Patrick asked, sounding alarmed.

"Pa went out to help our neighbor to the west, you know, the Holt's. They're new to town. Anyway, their barn door broke suddenly, it was old and all, and Pa went to help fix it. He went early this morn'. Mr. Holt came by to tell Pa thanks, this was before the snow really started to pick up. He said that after they'd finished the door Pa had left to go to the general store and was headin' back home accordingly. But he never came home. We're thinkin' to call a search party. Ma is gettin' real scared. A blizzard might be comin' in. I don't know what we'll do if....." The boy seemed to be pondering the situation over and over in his fifteen-year-old mind.