💕Johnny's Death (part 1)💕

3rd person POV~

The top of the church came crashing down onto the boy. Screams of pain filled the air as the surrounding flames continued to engulf the small, wooden church.

Crack

His bones crunched underneath the incredible weight of the beam. A sickly snap as agonizing pain overcame his fragile body.

Few people surrounded the sea of orange, red, and yellow. The bright, hot flames licked the charring building.

A lynx-like man ran into the church, crying out the name Johnny. Of course, the people there were too busy trying to control and contain the fire to stop him. Another young man, about 14 years of age, was being carried to an ambulance nearby. His face painted with the ashes of the fire.

*time skip to the hospital scene*

Ponyboy's POV~

So, many questions bounced about in my mind. Where and how was Johnnycakes? What even happened? And why won't this man let me smoke. I should've grabbed his wrist and pull him as he pushed me out. I rest my head in my hands. Dammit, my hair is also a mess right now, but that's probably not as important as Johnny.

"Ponyboy?" An all too familiar voice crocked out. "Soda!" I run into his arms which instantly fill me with warmth and a bit of happiness. The hug last about a minute or two before I look up and see him. Darry. I'm ALMOST glad to see him, but the memories of that night flooded my head.

Wait, what? I-is that a tear on his face? Greasers never cry, especially Darry. Heck, he didn't even shed a single tear at our parent's funeral.

It wasn't until that moment that I realized how much I actually missed him... no. He's the reason we are in this mess. Yet I can't help but feel some love towards the guy.

Darry's pleading eyes seemed to show that he felt helpless in a way. I finally understood what everyone had been sayin' bout him actually carin' about me. My arms wrapped tightly against him as I pleaded sorry. Deep within his voice, you could hear a silent choke of a sob.

He went on about how he thought he'd lost me... much like how we lost our parents. There it is, the fear that was buried deep in Darry. The fear of losing another loved one. How someone so close to you could be taken just like that.

After we dealt and got tired with all them reporters, we finally got some information about Johnny and Dallas' current conditions. Dallas has a bad burn on one of his arms, but he'd be alright. That towheaded JD could take just about anything (or so I thought).

Johnny is the one I'm worried about right now. The doctors kept talkin' about if he lived. Third-degree burns concealed his body. His back, broken. The poor kid is in severe shock and would be crippled for life. In shorter terms, death would be the ideal option.

My face completely drained of color as a small whimper threatened to escape. Heck, just a few hours ago, we had been talkin' 'bout our future... as a couple. How we would go see other sights and maybe settle down in the country. Johnny is more than a friend to me. I know I'm only 14, but in that short time we were together, I just knew I loved that kid. I missed my curfew that night because Johnny had just asked me out. We had just shared our first kiss together. Trust me, I've kissed plenty of girls, but the one with Johnny had that, what do you call it...? Oh, yeah! Passion. That spark that old people always talk about.

No more spark if Johnny dies. I would never be able to feel the same way he made me feel. I know I'm being selfish by wanting him to stay alive, but, I dunno. Soda lets me rest my head on his chest. It was just too much to take in all at once. I stay quiet while Darry talks quietly to the doctor. "We can only help relieve the pain," the doctor said in a hush tone. Next thing I know, I'm falling asleep next to Soda in our bed. Maybe this was just a dream...