A Plan Together

I kept my arm around Ava's shoulder as we walked down the hallway. I opened each door, and peered in until I found the bathroom. Ava sat on the edge of the bath tub. She had her old gauze pressed against her bleeding arm. I opened up the bathroom cupboard, and searched for disinfectant. I held her arm over the tub, and poured it over her fresh wounds. Ava bit down her lip, and tried not to cry.

My chest ached at the thought of hurting her. I just had to keep reminding myself that if I let Dad punish her, she'd be in a lot more pain. I kept apologizing as I wrapped her arm with fresh gauze. Ava stayed silent, and kept her eyes down on the tiled floor.

I sat down next to her on the edge of the tub. We sat in the quiet. The silence was painful and deafening. I wanted to break the silence, but I didn't know what to say.

A door down the hall opened. The footsteps echoed through the house. We had left the bathroom door open, so we could see Jared walk by and go down the stairs. We listened as he walked around downstairs and backdoor slammed shut. Ava stood up, and poked her head out into the hallway.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"I want to check on Leah," she said.

"No." I stood up and walked over to her. I leaned against the doorframe. "We're not supposed to get involved."

"What is she's hurt? I want to make sure she is okay."

"She'll be okay. I don't think Jared would hurt her."

Ava's blue eye widened, and I watched her face pale. She brought her wounded arm up to her chest.

"They're monsters. They don't care if they hurt us." She started to walk down the hall. "You would know."

It was like a punch to the gut when she said that. She didn't understand that if I didn't do it, Dad would have hurt her more. I grabbed her hand, and stopped her.

"We can't get caught," I said quietly.

"We're not going to," she whispered. "We'll be quick."

"My Dad might still be here," I said. "My Mom definitely is. I doubt they would let her go outside."

"Go downstairs and distract her," she told me. "I'll come down when I'm done."

I squeezed her hand. If Dad saw her in Leah's room, he would punish her. He'd probably punish me too for not monitoring Ava.

"I'll be quick," she said. "I just need to make sure she is alright."

I let out a deep breath before letting go of her hand. She gave me a faint smile.

"Be fast," I warned her.

She nodded her head and hurried over to Leah's room. She swooped down and picked Leah's fallen glasses up off of the floor. I kept stealing glances over my shoulder as I headed for the stairs. She tapped her knuckles on the door, and waited a few seconds before letting herself into the room. I walked down into the kitchen.

I looked around to see Mom sitting at the dining room table. Her eyes were fixed on the mug in her hands.

"Mom." My voice brought her back into reality.

"Hi, sweetheart," she said giving me a smile.

"Where's Dad?"

"He's outside. Did you need him?"

"No." I shook my head, and pulled the chair out across from her and sat down. "I was just curious."

Mom reached out across the table, and grabbed my hand. Under the sleeve of her sweater I could see her own wrist was wrapped in white gauze. She rubbed her thumb over my knuckles.