The Act

Author's Note: Sorry this is a short update!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 I tried not to stumble on my feet as Jared forced me out the door and onto the patio. He was scowling. I looked over my shoulder at the dark field. I could take off running, but Jared would soon catch up. If not, he would punish Ava and Mom.

"Were you in my room?" he asked.

"No," I said. "Why?"

"Because I know somebody was and Leah won't admit it," he said. "I don't know why she would lie to me."

"Why do you think somebody was there?"

"Her glasses were on the nightstand."

I thought back to the fight they had in the hallway. Leah's glasses were knocked off her face before he dragged her into their room. Ava had picked them up before going in to check on her.

"Maybe Leah snuck into the hall to pick them up," I said.

Jared raised an eyebrow, which I could barely see under the brim of his hat.

"It wasn't you," he said. "Did you let Ava into the room?"

A lump was stuck in my throat. I shook my head and tried my best to swallow.

"Why would you say that?" I asked trying to not let my voice waver.

"Leah is tied to the bed," he said. "There's no way she could have gotten into the hall."

I looked over at the window above the kitchen sink. I could see Ava through the bars. She was cooking with Mom, and they were talking. It looked as if her lips were almost lifted into a smile.

"It was Ava, wasn't it?" Jared asked. "She and Leah seem to be really close. It's good, but she needs to keep her nose out of things that are not her business."

"I don't know if it was her," I said.

"Who else would it be? I doubt your Mom did that."

Jared was curling his fingers into a fist. I didn't know how to lie my way through this. There was only us in the house so I was running out of options.

"I'll talk to her," I said.

"It's normal to have to punish Ava a lot in the beginning," Jared said. "I used to have to punish Leah all the time, and I hated it. But it's the way they learn. It's for the good of the family."

"Yeah ," I muttered, and took a step forward. "I'll go talk to her."

"I'll tell your Dad," he said.

I opened up the door to see Ava standing at the stove. She was stirring a pot, and looked up at me. I ripped the wooden spoon out of her hand and grabbed her elbow. Mom gasped behind me. If I looked like I was going to punish her, then hopefully could gain some trust. Ava yanked her arm, and I tightened my grip.

"Hun-" she started to say.

"Up to our room," I cut her off.

I dragged her out of the kitchen and up the stairs. I slammed the door behind us for dramatic effect. I let out a deep breath and flopped back onto the bed. I tossed my glasses to the side and dug my fingers into my eyes. Ava sat down on the bed.

"What's going on?" Ava asked.

"They know you were in Leah's room," I said.

"How?"