Middle of the Night

Author's Note: Reading week means two updates in one week. Wattcon is coming soon (October 21st!) and I am so excited to go. I hope you all enjoy this update, I know they take me a while to post. Follow me on Instagram (masonfitzzy) because I post more updates about new updates on there

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I woke up in the middle of the night with my mouth and throat feeling dry. I leaned over and turned on the lamp that was sitting on the nightstand. The room filled with a dim light. I sat on the edge of the bed and looked over at Ava. She was lying on her stomach on the far side of the bed. The sheets were pulled down, and her scabs were exposed to the cold air.

I found my pajamas lying on the floor. I slipped them on. I slid my glasses on my face, and dragged my feet over to the other side of the bed. I gently pulled the sheets up over Ava's body. She started to stir in her sleep, but she didn't wake up. She rolled over onto her side and curled up into a ball. I crept out of the room and into the hallway.

I went down into the kitchen, and flicked the lights on above the stove. I grabbed a glass out of the cupboard, turned on the faucet, and filled the glass. I drank the water greedily, and could feel cold water against my parched lips.

I turned around and leaned against the counter. The house was dark, and the light behind me casted shadows over the walls and furniture.

Before Mom published her book, we had to regularly move. We'd go from apartment to apartment, and then she could afford to move us into our house. I used to be terrified for the first few weeks in a new place. Everything was so new, and I had no idea what to expect. I used to sleep in Mom's room, and was afraid to go anywhere in the dark. The shadows always seemed to take on shapes and figures.

I turned to see the moonlight coming through the bars on the window. I don't know what compelled me, but I reached out and grabbed the bar. I gave it a pull, and it didn't budge. I reached over for the door.

My heart pounded when I turned the knob, and I felt the door open.

They forgot to lock the door.

They didn't lock the door.

My breath caught in my throat. I stepped outside onto the rickety porch, and the cool breeze caused goosebumps to rise on my arms. I looked out the forest to see the leaves rustling in the wind.

Dad told me that the woods were full of animals at night. That was why I was so desperate to find Ava and Leah that night. I wanted them to find help, but I didn't want her getting torn apart by an animal's claws. Instead, I let her back get torn apart by Dad's belt.

I followed around the porch to the front door. I squinted to see Mom's car sitting on the gravel driveway. Beside it was a rusted green pickup truck.

We couldn't run through the woods, but we could drive into the town and get help. I hurried back into the house, and closed the door behind me. I tried my best not to run up the stairs, but it was tough to try and to contain myself. When I got back into our room, I saw that I had left the lamp on. I got on my knees next to Ava. I ran my fingers through her hair, and nudged her shoulder.

"Ava, you have to get up," I whispered.

"Why?" she moaned. "What's going on?"

"The door is unlocked in the kitchen."

Ava's eyes flew open. She pushed herself up, and let out a yawn. I gathered her clothes up off of the floor and handed them to her. I opened the door open a crack and looked down the hallway to see it was empty. I jumped when I felt Ava's hands on my back. I grabbed her wrist and pulled her down into the kitchen.