[back] v.

[back] v.

The Bermuda Triangle is probably the most useless thing after shoe umbrellas. Better yet, ripped condoms. Nothing like an unexpected mistake to wake you up.
Seokjin has three of them--two interns and the other wrapping his internship up. They're around the same age so you don't necessarily see them tag along with Jin and his colleagues unless needed. You also don't have to live at the hospital to know that those three are always fucking around in a janitor's closet or some abandoned floor, doing unexplainable shit no one would pay to find out.
Jin takes care of them well. They don't live with him--thank God--as they share their own upscale flat near Seoul Uni, courtesy of Jimin and his family relations with multimillionaires.
Taking them seriously is one thing. Trusting them with confidential info is another. And as their senior resident's wife, you're familiar with most of the staff and Chiefs. It isn't the first time someone (Dr. Min) would indirectly complain about the troublesome trio.
Namjoon and Hoseok thought they were cute, so they were out of the question. Seokjin and Yoongi, on the other hand, have different opinions in store. And this is where you stop caring.
So when you ring Jin's Seoul flat that he rents with Joon, you're only a tad off guard when some voice going through puberty picks up.
"Hey, is this is the Chinese takeout dude?" The stutter in Jeongguk used to have is long gone. There's always been a certain husk to his voice, so it only takes you half a second to recognize him, regardless of face. The twenty-five year old intern (he had graduated college earlier than expected) is treated from ages seven and up according to Hoseok and Namjoon. He's remarkably mature for his age in most standards. Except when it comes games and all that other boyish shit.
Since you don't answer, he takes the silence as a yes. "Okay, I'll be there in a minute."
"Not so fast, kid," you snap in case he tries to hang up. There's the sound of the receiver being set down and getting picked up again. "I'm not--"
"Whoa, sorry for assuming your gender, ma'am." Jeongguk apologizes hastily. "I'll be down in a second."
"I'm not calling for your takeout, fatass. What are you doing in the Kims' flat?"
The boy tests your patience by answering with a dangerous pause. You can literally hear him contemplating whether he should press decline or not.
"What are you doing calling their landline?" he retorts.
"I'm married to one of them, thanks."
"Wait. Namjoon hyung has a wife? I always thought that fucker was gay. I caught him shoving his--"
"Where's Seok? And how is he doing?" you interrupt. Jeongguk has a tendency to scare newcomers off (especially girlfriends of boyfriends) by mindfucking them and twisting their words. The Bermuda Triangle is notorious for that.
"Which one, Seokjin or Hoseok hyung?" he sings.
"I know where you live, Jeon Jeongguk."
Because the two words my Seok would awkwardly roll off your tongue and almost seem unfit.
"Oh, you're Jin hyung's. He always threatens me like that. Among other things. What's poppin, Noons?"
"Everything but your ass. How's everyone doing?"
"Relatively okay. We're surviving. You won't believe it but Joon hyung's finally getting furniture. He's been sleeping on a ratty mattress and poring over Gray's Anatomy on a grade-school desk. But then Jin hyung yelled at him for not organizing his deodorant collection, so here we are, getting him a vanity. I'm helping the movers take it in."
"Glad to know he's at least upgraded from the cavemen era. What about you, Mr. Intern? Saved any lives and felt heroic lately?"
Jeon snorts. "We haven't cured cancer or prevented world hunger, so I wouldn't go too far. Life's hell, so please don't bring up depressing stuff. You?"
"Good. Hey, is Boston Cream still your favorite?" Last time you visited Seoul Uni--which was a year ago--you brought over the poke cake Yongsun baked and distinctly remember how Taehyung, Jeongguk, and Hoseok dived into it.
"Holy shit, yes," he sounds ten times more interested than when he said hello. "What are you making?"
"Frosting poke cake it as we speak. It's a shame you won't get any."
"Wow, rude. At least give me a description. What did you have for dinner?"
"Nothing special. I mean I just threw some shit together last night. But my coworkers--you know, your old classmates--are coming over tonight so I'm thinking of what to make them," you say casually in a tortuous tone. Jeongguk is attracted to nothing but the fact that you possess a culinary license. He obviously prefers your cooking to Seokjin's. There's been numerous times where your husband attempted making things your way, but none of it ever impressed the kid.
When you start with the idea of whipping up some signature creamy spinach tomato tortellini, you're not surprised at Jeon's groans. He pauses for a moment to yell on the other end, something along the lines of it's Jin hyung's and no, calm down, I'm not flirting with her, jeez, and then returns back to you. "Sorry, Joon's nosy. I just love it when you talk about food. Jin hyung has a knack for describing his meals too. You two are like one person when it comes to cooking."
A pang of uncomfortable nostalgia strikes your stomach once again. It's ridiculous, you think when you gulp on the other end of the line, that this same feeling washes over you whenever someone puts you and Jin in the same sentence. The fact that the awkwardness is just as painful as your cramps last week is also bullshit.
Jin's your lawfully wedded spouse, not an ex-hub you'd shoved pictures of in the back of your closet. It's not like you and Seokjin are near the edge where you're ashamed to hear his name. It's not like you're on your way to sign divorce papers while he's taking care of what little custody you'd probably be eligible claim.
Don't fucking think like that.
You need to pick your game up if you want to stay in this bubble.
"We bonded over food when we first met. During home economics in middle school," you admit softly. "He was trying to make a pizza topped with raw bacon and dried fish."
"I always knew he was a little nasty," remarks Jeon. "I'm guessing you talked him out of it?"
"Actually, I helped him make it and even taste tested it. It was his idea to give to the class bully, and the kid ended up getting diarrhea because of all that raw meat. But that's a different story." You grin as the memory of lanky Jin rushing his masterpiece in the teacher's lounge while you continued spraying bottles after bottles of air freshener and guarding the door. The stench of canned fish is clear in your mind and nostalgic on your nose.
Oh god, you're about to puke.
"Wow, uh, I can't believe Jin hyung even thought of that. He's always threatening to poison our meals or whipping out a butcher knife on us. But, like, I never took him seriously. So. . .I'll keep that in mind." Jeon yells away from the receiver one more time before coming back to you. "And there's my cue to go. Joon's carrying the takeout and judging from the way he's wobbling, I'm not gonna see that lo mein make it upstairs. I'll talk to you later!"
"Okay, is Jin there?"
"He's not home. Maybe he went to pick Jimin and Tae from the hospital? I haven't seen him all day, but I'll tell him to get back to you. That's basically why you called, right?"
"He doesn't have to. I just wanted to know how he's doing," you reassure.
As if he'd actually call back. Jeongguk would tell him, of course, but that's a lot coming from Seokjin unless he woke up from the wrong side of the bed. You know you want him to get back to you like how he used to when he missed your calls.
Putting it this way really hurts, but lately there isn't much to expect.

sorry not sorry for updating after a month but buckle up peeps