Bathtime Confession

Maybe none of them were really all that good at handling emotions. Hannah had always considered herself a very straightforward person who liked to handle things head on. Until it came to Grace.

Grace seemed to have the uncanny ability to throw her entire world off its axis. She made all the lines blurry and it worried Hannah sometimes.

Since the day last week that Hannah had held Grace in her arms, willing her to be put back together, Grace had avoided her. It was confusing.

She didn't really have anyone to speak to about it all. Mamrie was acting strange as well and Hannah seriously doubted the red head would go for her crushing on their friend who happened to be in the middle of a divorce.

Yes, Mamrie knew about the night at the lake house. A very drunken night shortly after Grace disappeared saw to that. Luckily, they talked about it that night and moved forward as best they could. At least, Hannah had pretended to move forward. She seemed to be growing quite proficient at hiding things from the people closest to her.

Now Grace was back and all the feelings were once again blurring her sense of clarity. It was hard to find the balance of being the girl secretly in love with her best friend, and being the friend she needed.

Was she acting out of love?

Or, was she acting out of the best interests for Grace.

It was all so confusing and made her head hurt. She had wondered more than once if Mamrie had forgotten about the whole confession, since she hadn't mentioned it since Grace's return.

She didn't really know how that made her feel either.

In usual Hannah fashion, she had thrown herself into caring for others. She doted over Ayla, made sure Grace ate, drank enough water, had clean linens and clothes after that time she didn't make it to the bathroom in time and ended up puking all over her bed. Hannah didn't leave her side.

It never occurred to her that she might possibly be crossing the line into being overbearing. That wasn't Hannah. Hannah was a nurturer, she meant no harm.

Today was the first day that Hannah realized what she was doing. That her questions and worries were also wearing on Grace. She had pestered her to the breaking point, and with everything else going on, she had snapped.

When Grace had first fled the house, Hannah was hurt. She felt like a kicked puppy. As she began to really see the consequences of holding too tightly to her friend, she began to understand.

Grace was scared.

Grace was anxious.

Grace was beginning to feel the walls close in on her, and Hannah had unknowingly made it a little worse.

"What do I do now?" Were her first words to Mamrie as the redhead watched Grace walk down the sidewalk.

The older woman turned to Hannah. She really did feel bad for her. She knew where Hannah was coming from and that she was only trying to help, but getting too up close and personal scared Grace. Hannah should have known this, but after missing nearly two years, Hannah needed something to hold.

"Let her blow of some steam. She's stressed, she hormonal." Mamrie shrugged, as if it were the easiest thing in the world.

She turned to make her way back to the kitchen to survey the damages left by Hurricane Ayla.

Total devastation just as she had expected.

She groaned before setting to work cleaning up.

"I mean, what if she isn't just stressed? What if something is wrong?" Hannah was floundering. Not having Grace in the house or with one of them was worrying her. She still felt as if Josh could be lurking around every corner.

Mamrie had lifted a very messy Ayla out of the high chair and handed her to Hannah.

"She is coming back Hannah. I mean, honestly, you are holding the biggest part of her. She isn't going anywhere without Ayla."

Hannah looked at the messy girl in her arms, Ayla squealed and lightly smacked her cheek with a banana covered hand.

"Annie!"

Hannah smiled at her. It was nice to be holding her and not having her completely freak out.

"Fine, I'll go bathe her. Make sure my kitchen is as clean as you found it when I get back!"

She heard Mamrie snort before yelling "Sure! Just let me throw all of your plates back in the sink!"

Hannah carried the little girl to the bathroom and began to filled the tub. Once she was inside, Hannah went about washing her and talking.

"You are gonna be an awesome big sister, do you know that?" She gently told the little girl. "Your mom is scared she can't handle two kids, but I know she'll be amazing at it. Your mom is amazing at a lot of things."

Ayla giggled as Hannah poured some water over her head.

"Don't worry, Annie and Ree aren't going anywhere, we will be there every step of the way. And when you're old enough, I'll show you some funny videos that your Mommy used to make on the internet." She lowered her voice conspiratorially. "She was really funny, and really pretty, but don't tell her I said that."

Hannah was done washing, so she allowed the girl to play for a moment. She figured Ayla hadn't quite figured out that Grace wasn't around yet, she was going to enjoy the time before the screaming started while she could.

"I really missed your Mommy, A. I don't know if she ever talked about me, but we had a pretty solid friendship. Then it morphed into something else. I know you aren't old enough to understand, but I have these weird things called feelings for your mom." The blonde leaned her side against the tub. "And it's really scary, because I don't want to lose you, or her again."

Tears had began to fill Hannah's eyes as she finally said the words out loud, even though it was only to a toddler who had no clue what she was talking about.

"I can't lose you guys again, A. I love your Mommy too much."

Unbeknownst to Hannah, a certain redhead had been standing at the door and heard everything. Her own heart squeezed in her chest.

Now, if she allowed herself to talk Grace into returning to New York, she would not only lose Grace and Ayla, but Hannah too.

A/N Horrible chapter! But it is a bit of a filler. My mind is a little fried tonight. I've been writing, just not this story. 😉 I just wanted to have something out today! I hope you all enjoy and see you next time!