Chapter 7

"That's definitely not your sister, for a number of reasons," I chuckle, dropping my hands back to my sides. Kuzo quickly shakes his head, tossing his hair back into order.

"No, it's not. That's Mara. Want to meet her?" I nod with a smile.

"Absolutely!"

Kuzo grins at my enthusiasm, and together we walk towards the front of the Nexis. A young woman comes through the second door a moment later, her arms laden with grocery bags. She has a bright smile on her face that compliments her peaches and cream complexion, and makes her brown eyes sparkle merrily. She grins when she sees us, quickly setting her bags down and scurrying over.

"Hello! My name is Mara Reynolds, who are you?" she asks, still smiling. I can't help but smile back as I offer my hand.

"I'm Paris. Paris Baker. I guess I'm in Kuzo's charge." Kuzo smiles as Mara looks at him, and she happily pulls me into a hug. She smells of watermelon and cinnamon.

"It's so nice to welcome you to the family, dear!" she exclaims as she pulls away, beaming. "I hope Abel and Aziela aren't giving you any trouble?" I chuckle and shake my head.

"No more than I'm used to," I insist. Mara smiles, then pats Kuzo on the arm before turning to pick up her bags once more.

"It's almost dinner time, and I'm going to make our supper. Would you like to help me?"

I nod quickly, grinning. "Sure. Sounds like fun." Kuzo breaths a small sigh.

"Well, I'm going to go see what Abel's up to," he says. No sooner have the words left his mouth, than Abel suddenly appears behind him. He lightly smacks Kuzo in the back of the head, then cackles and vanishes again. Kuzo rolls his eyes, no longer smiling. "On second thought, I'm going to my room."

"Aren't you hungry?" I call after him as he heads up the stairs.

"Not really," he mutters over his shoulder, disappearing from sight. I frown after him, confused, then turn to Mara for an explanation. She sighs, shaking her head.

"Don't mind him. He gets picked on by the others sometimes," she says, shifting her bags to her other hand. "But you make him smile! I don't think I've seen him smile once since I've met him."

I look back at the stairs. "Why am I so different?" I question, even more confused. Mara giggles lightly.

"Isn't it obvious? He likes you!" I feel my cheeks grow scarlet as she continues. "He was standing close to you. And he was watching you with the dumbest smile when you weren't looking."

"It wasn't obvious to me..." I mumble, embarrassed. "When did that happen?" Mara shakes her head and pats me on the shoulder.

"Angels are very in tune with their feelings. He probably doesn't even realize when he crossed the line from being your guardian, to wanting more."

I sigh, my cheeks still red. "What am I supposed to do?" Mara smiles.

"That's up to you. If you treat him as a friend, I'm sure he'll respond that way, but, otherwise..." She stops then, letting me put the pieces together, before holding a grocery bag out to me. "Come on. Dinner is waiting."

I nod and take the bag, following her into the mess hall, into the kitchen beside it. I spend my time helping as we make lasagna, but my mind is elsewhere.