Chapter 21

It takes me a moment to speak, as I'm trying to figure out if this is real, or some elaborate joke. But the sincerity in Kuzo's voice tells me it's not.

"A-are you serious...?" I ask in a hushed whisper. Iathoth nods.

"Yes, we are completely serious."

"Then wh-where is he?" I ask, fighting back tears. "Why did he leave us?" Kuzo looks down, intently studying the floor, and Iathoth sighs. He runs a large hand through his hair, seeming sorrowful.

"I am sorry to tell you this, Paris," he says quietly. "But your father...he was killed. Four years ago, protecting a family in Iraq."

It's like a punch to the stomach. "Wh-what? Why wasn't he with us?! Why was he somewhere else?! Why did he leave?!" I am not going to cry here, where Iathoth and Kuzo seem so remorseful, and where the other angels are doing their best not to listen in. So I hook my hands behind my head and take a few deep breaths.

"He left to keep you safe," Kuzo explains quietly. "You probably started showing signs of being a Nephilim when you were six or seven, so he left. You already started speaking the language, I'm sure."

"What language?" I ask, though it's not the question I really want an answer to. Iathoth smiles slightly.

"You have been speaking the language of angels throughout this whole conversation," he tells me. I raise my eyebrows, thinking. That's why the words sounded strange. Like English, but...not.

"But..." I start, then stop. I can't take this, not all at once. I shake my head quickly, my breathing shaky. "I-I...excuse me." I push past the two of them, wanting to at least get out of the room before the tears come. I feel Kuzo start to follow me, but Iathoth kindly holds him back.

I'm sobbing by the time I reach my room, ugly gasps filling the dead air as I lay on my bed, burying my face in my pillow. Amber tries to console me, but it doesn't work. All kinds of questions form in my mind, none of them answerable, and none so loud as the voice that's screaming in my head. My dad is dead. My daddy, he's gone. I'll never see him again.

I continue crying for a good fifteen minutes. Every time I start to slow down, a memory of the two of us, or the two of us and Mark, pops up, and I start crying again. I finally stop, but only because I'm out of tears and have a headache. I'm still sniffling when I hear a soft knock on my door.

"W-who is it?" I ask, my voice muffled through my pillow. Kuzo's voice answers, asking if he can come in. "S-sure..." I'd usually not want people to see me after I've cried, but it's Kuzo. He's seen it before.

I hear the door creak open, and before I know it, I'm in Kuzo's arms. He pulls me into his lap, holding me firmly but gently, his fingers in my hair. And I'm sobbing again. I thought I was done.

Kuzo doesn't say a word, just holds me and lets me cry on his shirt. He changed out of his suit at some point, and is now back in his usual dark ensemble. When I finally slow down once more, he still doesn't say anything, kissing my forehead and rubbing my back.

"I-I'm okay..." I whimper. Kuzo shakes his head, his hands holding me close.

"No, you're not. Of course you're not. And I'm sorry. If I had known he was your father, I would have broken it to you gently..."

I look up from his chest, my eyes puffy and my face a mess. "It's not your f-fault," I stammer, looking at his nearly white eyes. "I know you would've told me, but you didn't know."

Kuzo nods once, before using his thumb to wipe my tears away. I almost smile, but I can't seem to manage it. Kuzo smiles instead, then dips his head and kisses me softly. I slowly relax, pulling myself into a smaller ball against him, and when he breaks away, I sigh.

"Thanks, Kuzo," I say, still sniffling. He chuckles.

"For what?"

"For coming to see me. I'm glad you did."

Kuzo gives a small grin, kissing my forehead again. "Anything for my princess," he murmurs, and I feel myself blush.

"So what now?" I ask tiredly, resting my head on Kuzo's shoulder. "How are we getting Mara back?" I can hear Kuzo's heartbeat, soft and steady, and it helps me feel better.

"We're forming a search party," Kuzo explains. "We'll search the city until we find clues. Most likely, if a demon took her, they used a summoning sigil. Humans won't be able to see the portal, but we will."

I nod slowly, trying to follow. "And when we get to the...portal?"

"We'll summon the demon who took her, and make a deal."

I almost laugh. "What would you give the demons that they'd want? There probably isn't much..." And that's when I realize it. "You need me."

Kuzo's eyes widen, and he fervently shakes his head. "No. I'm not letting you be a part of that. The demons can't get you."

"Why do they want me, anyway?" I ask, still confused. "I mean...I'm part archangel, so what?" My own words are still hard to believe, but I guess this is my life now. Kuzo sighs.

"Angels are very powerful, it's true. But humans have stronger souls. A Nephilim, a child of an angel, is even stronger than an angel. They're rare enough, but the child of an archangel...there's only you. And maybe your brother, but he isn't showing signs. The demons want you because you're more powerful than any angel or archangel. And if they turned you with venom..." He slows to a stop, and I look up in alarm.

"What? Tell me, please!" I beg him. He swallows hard.

"They'd turn you into the Antichrist. You'd be powerful enough to destroy heaven, and that's all you'd want to do."

I stay silent, thinking. "So...I'd kill all the angels?" Kuzo nods.

"Most likely."