Chapter 19

I'm laying forlornly on my bed, Amber curled up against my side, when Kuzo comes in, just a minute later. He's trying hard to keep the stress from his face, but failing.

"Hey," he says softly, sitting beside me. I sit up and hug him, laying my head on his shoulder.

"I heard about Mara," I mumble. "I'm sorry, it's my fault."

Kuzo rubs my back, taking my hand and kissing it. "No, it's not your fault," he chides. "Don't even think that for a second."

"But it's true," I whimper, feeling tears pricking the corners of my eyes. "If it weren't for me, she'd still be here, she'd be safe."

"Whoa, now," Kuzo murmurs, lifting my head to look at him. His eyes are soft as he looks at me, examining my face and gently tucking my hair back. I'd forgotten I was still wearing my new dress, and now, the tulle makes a crinkling noise when I move. Kuzo is still in his suit, as well, though it's unbuttoned.

"It's not your fault," Kuzo assures me, his thumb tracing my chin. "If you're going to blame anyone, blame the demons that are after you. They're the ones causing all this trouble."

I sniffle, ducking my head once more and feeling as Kuzo gently tangles his fingers in my hair, kissing the top of my head as he continues.

"Abel, Azi and I are going to patrol the streets. We'll be back in an hour. Will you stay here? Where it's safe?"

I hesitate, then nod, clutching at Kuzo's dress jacket. He kisses my forehead again, giving me a warm hug, before letting me go and standing.

"Get some more sleep," he says, flashing me an encouraging smile. "Time changes are hell."

I nod, realizing I am indeed tired. Kuzo sighs and bends down to kiss me, then leaves my room, closing the door behind him. I sigh, not moving for a good five minutes, not until I hear the door of the Nexis grind open, then closed again.

I stand and change out of my dress, carefully hanging it in the closet before pulling on sweats and a t shirt. I lay down on the coverlet, not wanting to get between the sheets, and sniff again. Amber whines softly, scampering up and licking my noise, which manages to make me chuckle. Then she curls down against my chest and falls asleep once more.

I don't want to sleep. I've been having nightmares so frequently. But drowsiness overtakes me, slowly pulling me under, and I drift in solitary blackness for a moment. And then the dreams start again.

I'm standing on the Eiffel Tower, the observation deck, with Kuzo by my side. But it doesn't look like him. Not really. His eyes are red, his hair white as snow, and he's wearing a white suit with a blood red tie. He turns and smiles at me, revealing sharp, jagged teeth. But I'm not scared.

The scene changes. Kuzo is still at my side, but we're on the streets of Boston, my home, walking through the park. The trees are bare, the sky dark, and not a single person in sight. Bodies lay everywhere, stinking of decay. And Kuzo has a sickle in his hand, covered in blood and his white suit spattered with ichor.

Once again the scene changes, but it's more of a memory. I'm litte again, six or seven, and my father is still here. He's playing with me, smiling happily and laughing as he spins me around, gently tossing me into the air. I have no fear of falling as he catches me with his strong arms. I look more like him than my mother, the same hazel eyes and reddish brown hair, the same dimple on my right cheek.

For once, my dreams aren't so bad, and I wake up without feeling seconds away from death.

I actually smile as I play through my last dream in my mind, a pleasant warmth surrounding me. After a few moments, I become aware of noise in the Nexis, soft voices and feathers ruffling. So I get up and put on jeans and a tank top under a beige jacket, pulling on a pair of tennis shoes before leaving my room.

The voices are coming from the dining hall, I realize, as I walk closer. I nudge the door open and peak inside, eyes wide with wonder.

There are angels inside, six to seven, not counting Abel, Azi, and Kuzo, who is standing a few feet inside the door. I slip in and tap his arm, staring at everyone. Kuzo turns and smiles when he sees me, his whole spirit brightening, and he takes my hand in his. I didn't realize he's almost a foot taller than me, until now.

"What's going on?" I ask quietly. The other angels are sitting around a circular table, the long tables shoved against the walls, and they're all talking at once.

"Family meeting, per se," Kuzo replies just as quietly. "We're deciding how we're going to search for Mara."

"Everyone?" I ask, surprised. Kuzo chuckles.

"This is barely any of my siblings. I have billions. These are just the ones that aren't busy. If none of them were busy, this place would be swamped. Everyone knows and adores Mara." He sighs softly as he watches them bicker, then turns to me with a smile. "How did you sleep?"

I consider telling him about my dreams, but decide not to. He's already got his hands full, looking for Mara and putting up with his family members.

"I slept fine," is all I say. Kuzo doesn't seem to believe me, but I don't really care right now. He's busy enough.

Abel is talking to a male angel that is even more dark than Kuzo, with black everything, black hair, dark eyes, and a permanent scowl. Something about him sets me on edge.

"Who is that?" I ask Kuzo quietly, nodding toward the angel, all dressed in black and skulls. Kuzo follows my gaze and frowns.

"That's Adriel, angel of Destruction. He doesn't come out of hiding very often. I'm surprised he's even here." I nod, looking at the other angels. It's amazing to me how each of them looks so completely unlike the other. The four female angels are all sitting together, as are the several male angels, and I only recognize Azi and Abel. No one seems to notice me, but they all look up when a flash of light fills the room.

An angel appears a few feet from me, and the room is engulfed in deafening silence. This angel holds an air of importance, but not arrogance. He looks middle-aged, with weathered tan skin and gray eyes, a slight beard. His hair is curly and blond, reaching his shoulders, and he's wearing an expensive suit.

He silently regards the angels around the table, who have all risen to their feet, then turns his attention to Kuzo and I. His eyes are old and kind. He looks at me for a moment, before looking back at the round table.

"This meeting has now opened," he booms.