Chapter 27

My eyes snap open, and I gasp, panting. I'm no longer in the alley, in the fight. Instead, I'm sitting in a large office-like room, in a very uncomfortable chair, with no trace of injury. The walls are deep crimson, the carpet black, and it's bright in here, despite there being no lighting fixtures anywhere.

It takes me a few seconds to realize I'm not alone. The large chair ten feet in front of me is occupied by a man in a white suit. A man who looks a lot like Kuzo, but with white hair and red eyes.

"What the hell?" I breathe, taking deep breaths as I stare at the strange man. He's sitting very regally upon what can only be described as a throne, one foot cocked up on the other knee. "Kuzo?"

The man smirks, a fang poking out from between his lips. "Afraid not," he says calmly. He even sounds like Kuzo.

"Then who are you?" I snap, glaring. He chuckles, planting both feet on the ground as he stands and straightens his tie.

"My dear young lady, I am Death."

My eyes widen more, and I stand quickly, taking a step back.

"No. You can't be. Death isn't a person. Why the hell do you look like Kuzo?"

Death, if that's really who it is, smirks as he glances down at himself. "Actually, your boyfriend looks like me. I came first."

"What the hell is going on?" I growl, looking around for a way out. But there aren't any doors or windows, not one.

"Isn't it obvious? You died," Death says, sticking his hands in his pockets. "Stabbed by someone you thought was a friend." That piques my interest, and I look back at him, raising an eyebrow.

"Who?" I ask, dreading the answer and mentally going through everyone I know.

"Adriel."

I laugh slightly and shake my head. "Why am I not surprised. I had a feeling he didn't like me for some reason." Death, as I've now accepted his name, radiates a strange aura of peace, or at least calmness, and I don't feel like punching him anymore.

"Do you want to know why he killed you?" Death questions, sitting back down on his throne. I pause, then nod, sitting in my own chair once more as I regard Death. What an odd phrase.

"Because you're a threat," Death sighs, tapping a clawed finger on the arm of his chair. "If the demons had gotten you, you would have destroyed heaven. I'm sure he thought he had no other choice. He's always been known for not thinking anything through."

"And Kuzo?" I ask.

"What about him?"

"Is he in pain?" My question surprises even me, but Death nods.

"More than you'll likely ever know. He just lost the love of his life. And one of his brothers." That confuses me, but fortunately, Death continues. "He killed Adriel right before he caught you, one shot to the head."

I look around the room, half expecting Adriel to manifest from the shadows. Death laughs.

"Don't worry, he's gone for good. Angels who kill any innocent person, and are then killed themselves, do not get my personal welcome. They're thrown into the Pit, same as anyone who kicks puppies or makes rude gestures at nuns."

"How can you be joking?" I ask indignantly. "I'm dead!"

"I noticed," he replies snarkily. "But that's not going to last very long, don't worry."

I frown, blatantly confused. "Um...I'm dead, I'm pretty sure that's permanent..."

"Not if you're Death," Death smirks, standing again. "I'm technically not supposed to meddle, I'm just supposed to calm people down and send them on their way. But I've decided to ignore that rule, because, one day, you'll owe me a favor. And when I come to collect it, I'm sure you'll be more than happy to oblige. Both you and Kuzo."

"I'm sorry, does anything you say make sense?" I ask, giving him an odd look. "What is that even supposed to mean?"

Death laughs softly, grabbing my hand and pulling me to my feet. He even feels the same as Kuzo.

"It'll make sense one day, I promise you," he says, his red eyes pulsating mildly. "Until then, I'm going to give you a gift and hope I don't see you again for a very long time. I'd hate for you to owe me two favors."

He doesn't seem like he'd hate it one bit, but when I open my mouth to respond, I'm stunned by yet another blinding pain from between my shoulderblades. I'm thrown backwards, or at least, that's what it feels like, and then I'm rising at supersonic speeds, my vision going dark again.

When I regain feeling again, I blink my eyes open to see Kuzo is still holding me. It doesn't seem like much time has passed, since no one else has even noticed Kuzo and I.

Kuzo is gently rocking me, bawling his eyes out into my chest. I chuckle slightly, tiredly raising a hand and ruffling his hair.

"What's wrong, Kuzo?" I ask, my voice cracking. His head whips up, and he stares at me in absolute shock before kissing me hard. I hold him tightly, kissing back just as passionately.

"It's okay, I'm here," I pant when he pulls away. He still looks like he's seen a ghost. Which, ironically, I kind of am.

"How?" he asks simply, his wings spread around us for protection. I shake my head, trying to sit up. The sword that was through my chest is on the ground nearby, my wound fully healed, like it was never there.

"Not important. I'm here, and I'm not giving up yet." Demons are still pouring from the portal in legions at a time, and I look at Kuzo for an explanation.

"A Colossus," he says, wiping his face as he stands and pulls me to my feet. "It's like a huge demon, strong enough to hold the portal open from the inside."

I nod, just realizing that my back is still on fire, a pain that spreads into the bones. But I ignore it for now.

"Can it be killed?" I ask instead. Kuzo nods, frowning.

"Yes, but...none of us are strong enough or fast enough."

"I am," I say immediately, even though it doesn't seem right. Kuzo blinks, bewildered.

"What?"

"I'm strong enough," I repeat. "And fast enough. Trust me, please, I know what to do."

Kuzo doesn't seem too sure, but he finally nods. "Alright. I trust you."

I smile and lean up to kiss him, then head toward the portal. Demons continue to spill out, but I notice Azi and Kuzo concentrating their power on keeping my path clean. There's a whisper at the back of my mind, something begging to be set free, and, as I stand at the edge of the smoking portal, I oblige.

I take a deep breath, then let it out and release the pain that was building up in my back.

I spread my wings.