Chapter 1

AWAKE

Bright light. White walls. White ceiling.

A constant beeping.

A faint scent of disinfectant.

Darkness and then no more.

The boy, too young to be called a man, opened his eyes and surveyed his surroundings.

White walls and a white ceiling.

A machine beeping.

The faint scent of disinfectant.

Gradually he could feel his senses return as he felt a dull ache at the back of his right hand. Turning his head to the right he saw two bags hanging on a pole.

Realization finally set into him. A hospital it was then. He was in a hospital.

He closed his eyes and licked his dry lips.

His throat was parched and he felt thirsty.

He tried to clench and unclench his left hand. His thin fingers were cold.

A deep exhale made him search for the source of the sound.

On a nearby black leather couch lay a man sleeping. His face was obscured by his arms as he tried to block the rays of light that escaped from the window. A light blue quilt covered half of his body as he laid on his side.

His assessment of the stranger inside the room was interrupted by an itch on his chest. He lifted his left hand that was devoid of needles and felt something stuck on his chest. He was able to wrap his hand on one of the cables and managed to rip the ECG electrodes off his skin.

He ripped one electrode after the other.

But a tad moment later, a distressing sound came from one of the machines inside the room.

Then came the sound of a flat line. The heart stopped and no longer beats inside the body.

The incessant noise alarmed the man who was sleeping on the leather couch. He was full of panic as he lifted his face to look at the monitor.

Flat line.

Quickly he stood up, pulled the door open, and rushed to the nurse station. Calling for a doctor to hurry up to the room.

Soon enough two medical personnel came into the room together with the man.

But when the two paramedics came to the bed and checked the patient, they felt relieved.

"Welcome to the land of the living," the Hispanic male nurse said. "Cathy call Dr. Ramirez."

The tall blond female nurse nodded and went out of the room.

Due to his panic the man rushed out and did not see that the patient on the bed was now awake for the first time in four months. The man sighed in relief.

With a slow careful gait he moved towards the hospital bed and gathered the boy in his arms.

Light blue eyes glistened as he stared at the soft brown eyes.

The older man leaned in an placed a chaste kiss on the boy's forehead.

He smiled as he softly spoke, "I missed you so much."

Ed. 3.20.20