Chapter 11

RAVEN

Albert wanted the physical therapy to be conducted at the mansion. But Eirian stubbornly refused.

"Love, I would feel uneasy if you are unaccompanied."

"I am not a kid." Eirian crossed his arms over his chest and looked away.

"Don't be mad my love. I just feel worried that you are pushing yourself too hard. It would break my heart to know you are hurt." Albert held the boy's hands in his own large ones.

The boy's fingers were long and slender. The pads of his palms were soft against his calloused hands. One hand of his could engulf and crush the boy's dainty fingers.

"I want to get well." Eirian cried.

Seeing the tear-filled eyes, Albert felt the strings tug his heart. He kissed the boy's knuckles.

In the end, Albert had no choice but to compromise. He would allow Eirian to go to the rehabilitation center for his physical therapy but he must be accompanied by two guards at all times when he couldn't be there by himself.

The physical therapist was a tall and well-built man. The man had a nice brown hair that he kept tied in a bun. A neat scruff covered his face. His light brown eyes looked kind and patient.

"Hi! I am Rafael Seamus." The man extended his hand. "I will be your physical therapist for the duration of your rehab."

"Hello! I am Eirian Lopez." Eirian shook the man's hand.

"I am Albert, Eirian's fiancé." Albert exchanged pleasantries and also shook hands.

"Alright, so to begin we will be first discussing this plan of activities." As the therapist spoke, he held up a clip board and displayed it to them. "At any point in time, we may do some adjustments as needed. Do you have any concerns?"

"None," said Eirian

Albert did not object either.

They began the first part of the exercise as Albert watched from the side.

Initially, Eirian was wary about meeting new people, considering that he was now disabled. But with his memory gone, he lost some of his fears. He knew no one and he did not have to think of how others would talk about him. As far as he knew, he was no one important.

He had to push himself. Staying inside the mansion made him felt cooped up.

The first few days in the rehabilitation center were spent on stretching and light exercise. Some days they would have an activity in the swimming pool.

Eirian was very optimistic that he would regain movement on his legs. It would only be a matter of time and effort.

One night, Eirian laid on the carpet in front of the burning fireplace. It was warm and cozy. He was enjoying a romance novel when he heard a noise by the windows. He left the book on the floor and turned his body toward the noise. There he noticed a raven pecking on the window. The raven looked at him for a long time before flying away.

What a strange creature he thought.

Eirian picked his book again only to notice a piece of paper stuck in between the pages.

Suddenly he remembered the bookmark from before.

He pulled the paper off and read the contents.

Strength comes from overcoming things others think you couldn't.

Eirian felt encouraged by the quote.

On the other side of the window, the raven perched on the branch of a nearby tree. Its unblinking black eyes watched the young man on the floor.