7. Pyrite

Pyrite was once a real SkyWing.

She was hatched several years into Queen Scarlet's reign, and worked as a palace servant. She shared many of the enchanted Pyrite's characteristics - insecure, erratic and a little bit clingy - as well as her physical appearance. The only difference was her loyalty.

She wasn't devoted to Queen Scarlet. She was in love with one of her daughters.

The two had grown up in the same vicinity; it was a mutual "skinny love". When they first began talking, Pyrite was in her teens. As they grew older, they grew closer.

Scarlet became aware of their relationship and began to grow jealous. Perhaps it was distaste for Pyrite's inferior ancestry, or simply fear of having another dragon influence her daughter - a dragon who might put ideas into her head, like confidence or hopes of becoming queen.

Whatever the case, one night as her daughter was sleeping, she had Pyrite captured and brought before her. She accused her of being a spy and attempting to infiltrate the royal court. She was executed privately as a warning to the wretched princess.

Decades later when Chameleon arrived, Queen Scarlet decided to use Pyrite for one of his many enchanted shapes. She commanded him to add total loyalty for a final twist of irony.

BONUS the enchanted Pyrite necklace was originally a necklace the princess gave to Pyrite.