T H E F U T U R E

"Helena, I can't believe you can be so fake. I knew you were pathetic but I didn't knew it could be so much worse?" Rebecca sneered as she smirked deviously at her. Her family, the Targartts, were rich and very powerful in their little town of Wolverhampton. She always picked on people who she thought didn't deserve to be in her circle especially people like Helena. It was hard to believe that she could be as cold as a fact that she was related to her older sister, Desiree, who was actually nice and sweet in person. If Rebecca Targartt ever deserved a title, it would be Lady Medusa.

Helena who was taking her books out from her locker peacefully moments ago only kept quiet. If she retorts back, they would stir a commotion and it will only add more to Rebecca‟s

amusement. She hummed herself a tune as she pretended that Rebecca wasn‟t even there, though this drove her a bit crazy. She tries again, attempting to get on Helena‟s nerves,

"You‟re too desperate. How did you poison Liam‟s head? For your pity sake, he‟s mine, Helena."

Helena‟s eyes dart to look into her swelling gaze. She felt sick to her stomach just by looking at her. Sure, Rebecca looked gorgeous but too bad she had a personality that didn‟t match. A crowd starts to form around them as she turned her eyes away from her. The hall was now

full of people exchanging nervous glances and whispers. She smiled but her words meant differently, "Well, if he‟s yours... then why is he spending time with me, Becca?"

Rebecca looks taken back by Helena‟s comeback. She had to roast her somehow because she always knew how to make people feel insecure on most days she teased her. She hated the innocent smile on her face so much that she would burn her brunette hair if she could. Before

she could even come up with a roast, Liam steps in to dissolve the attention from the crowd, "Everyone get back to class now before the hall monitor fines your hall pass."

He says sternly once everyone leaves, "I heard enough. Don‟t make me report this to the principle." Liam could because he was Marywood‟s vice head prefect after Taylor Reese.

"But..," Rebecca begins to protest but almost quickly he stops her. He emphasized fully, "For your pity sake, I don‟t belong to you or anyone, Becca." She pursed her lips slightly before walking away in defeat.

Helena smiles from ear to ear because never thought she would roast Rebecca right in her spot, just where she deserves to be. Whatever feeling struck her ago, she really liked it. The confidence feels so contagious; it was something she hadn‟t felt in a long time. She could tell Liam was also resisting smiling. Though he kept his poker face on, "After school I want to walk you home. Who knows I might find reason three on the way."

Without even second thoughts, she just nods. He couldn‟t resist it. Liam‟s smile reached his hazel eyes, "Now get back to class, Helena. Recess was over five minutes ago."

*****

"Heavens, there you are! I have good news to share, Helena," a woman exclaims when Helena and Liam pass through the door. The woman was about in her early thirties with a devoted heart for the homeless. If she smiles, you would know her heart was genuine that time. She had short wavy strawberry-blonde hair and sparkling emerald eyes. Aunt Sierra contributed the most among her co-workers.

Helena takes a seat next to Aunt Sierra as her eyes look with curiosity the white sealed envelope in her lap. The older woman takes her hand and gives it a light squeeze, "Hartfeld University wants you to take their art course on their campus and they‟re giving you a scholarship. Congratulations! My Lord, I can‟t believe you will move out of this place soon."

Tears of joy flow through Aunt Sierra‟s eyes. Helena was too shocked and overjoyed at the same time that she was speechless. No words could describe how she felt at that moment. Liam only grins when she gazed at him with her blue eyes glistening with hope. He states meaningfully, "See, Helena? Even life gives you reasons. Though waiting for chances may take a long time, keep on waiting because it‟s always worth it. You might already know this but still I will say it. Reason three: the future."