P E O P L E

Helena picked her outfit for the evening: a white blouse and a black pencil skirt that covers just enough of her modesty. She styled her hair in a messy bun. She just wanted to look simple because she isn't a fan of the latest fashion trends. She remembers earlier today that Liam somehow knew reason four was at their local amusement park so he insisted she had to go there for tonight to find out. Though she had to walk herself there as he said he could use some extra time to plan for her surprise. She's not complaining.

She calls out to Aunt Sierra as she took her black sneakers that she had as her recent birthday gift off the rack, "Aunty Sierra, I'm going out with Liam. I promise I'll be back before curfew." She hears a slight mutter from the kitchen, "OK, sweetie. Have fun with him!"

Helena steps onto the porch to feel the cold thin air hit her face.

*****

Hey, I like your sneakers," Liam compliments once he found her among the crowd. He looked simple but his outfit has a brave edge to it with his red flannel hanging over his broad shoulders and white tee underneath. Levi‟s jeans and black shoes: it just works for Liam. He smiles at her meaningfully.

Helena‟s cheeks start to warm up from his attention, "Is there something wrong?" He shakes his head and asks her to close her eyes. When eyed suspiciously by her, he insisted that she has to for her surprise. "What do you see?" he questions her once she played along with him. He hoped this wasn‟t cheesy because he thought everything carefully.

"Darkness, she whispers slowly and her blue eyes reopen as she was confused. He repeats his question. "Bright lights, cotton candy, octopus ride, your face, people..," her eyes darted to look around her but he stops her short before she could continue.

He says as his hazel orbs stare into her blue ones, "That‟s it, Helena. Reason four: people. Take this photo album and you‟ll see why."

Helena takes the photo album from him and flips open the first page. She was speechless when she saw her family photo. She flips another to see three small notes glued and her heart flutters reading each note. She knew the notes were real because it was handwritten differently.

"Helena is very beautiful. She is my hero because she makes me smile when I'm blue. I want to be like her when I grow up!"
-Danielle

"Within every passing second, she blossoms to be a beautiful and strong woman. I'm proud in what she has achieved and forever she'll be my pride till I grow old. I love her always and I hope she knows that I'm willing to be with her every step of the way in her journey even when she moves out."
-Sierra Watkins

"You have a strong heart, Helena. But it's okay to cry once in a while because you have been strong enough on the days you didn't cry. It is okay to break down but the important thing is that you get back up. It's okay to feel weak. It's okay to need someone. It's okay to cry. It's okay to feel human. Someone loves you, I know that because who wouldn't? Beautiful means inside and outside and that means Helena. At least you don't cut your wrists. Such a waste of blood and self-esteem to those who do. Keep on living and be an inspiration to everyone because the world needs more people like you. A heart so beautiful and courageous like a gladiator."
-Liam Martins

Her eyes were now wet of tears, she never knew there was actually someone that values her. Liam envelopes her into his arms as he strokes her hair gently. He puts his head on top of hers, letting her sob into his tee, "Helena, can‟t you see? Not only your parents want you to live but Danielle, Aunt Sierra and I do too. You need to live on because people need you. If you chose to jump off that cliff, I can imagine how devastated everyone will be when you‟re gone. It‟s not how many people love you that matters, Helena, but it‟s how much love and attention they give you that‟s important. I want you to say this once you feel like you are ready: I‟m worth it because I deserve it."

"I‟m worth it... because I deserve this," Helena manages to say at last through her sniffles.

He smiles gently and wipes her tears away with his thumb. He then takes her hand and grins,

"Now let‟s have some fun on those rides. We came for a night to remember, Helena."