19-State of Grace

[Jenna's POV]

---

This is the last day. I'm 99% positive that I'll be returning to Afghanistan before the end of this week. I just hope Harry won't do anything stupid until Christmas that I won't be able to fix. That is, if I'm still alive enough to fix it.

Before I open my eyes and accept the fact that I'm awake, I take the time to admire just how warm Harry's body is. His legs are propped on top of each other and laying straight across the bed while I'm curled into a little ball in his side.

I feel his long, delicate fingers brushing through my growing hair. It'll be short again soon. I blink my eyes open and stretch.

"Morning, beautiful." Harry mumbles in his sleepy, raspy voice.

There's that word again.

"Hardly anything good about it." I say, closing my eyes and leaning into Harry's chest.

"This is good." He responds.

"But the day is bad." I shoot back.

"Touché."

His arms snake around my waist and he holds me in his arms for what seems like forever until he finally gets up and goes into my bathroom.

"That was abrupt." I say to myself, knowing that he can't hear me.

I hear the shower turn on from my bathroom and the shower door sliding open. I frown, knowing I cannot possibly stall this any longer. This is it, the moment I've been dreading ever since I decided to live a life I deserved.

I go get the mail.

I take the steps slowly, wondering just how long Harry would take to shower. Arriving at the mailboxes, I take out my key and turn it in the lock. I don't bother looking through the crisp envelopes, I know what's inside of them.

Bills.

Magazine.

Deployment letter.

Coupons.

I hurry back up the stairs to my apartment. I faintly hear the shower still running and Harry singing in the shower again. He should try out a solo album, his voice is beautiful.

I flip through the envelopes in my hand while standing in the kitchen. I hand ghosts over a parchment colored envelope, labeled to soldier Jenna Grace. I turn it over. A red stamp with giant lettering is crossed over the back flap.

Soldier Grace's eyes only!

I take my sweet time in opening it. I hear the shower turn off.

I unfold the letter delicately, tears already starting to pool in my eyes.

My eyes scan the page in horror and numbly, I sink to my knees against the kitchen wall. Sobs rock my body as I reread the simple letter. My eyes continue to scan the letter until I'm sure I've read it right. I suppose that 10% of me not going back didn't pull through.

Redeployment: June 12th

My third tour is starting on June 12th. That's in two days! My knees shake against the cold tile floor and I'm left sitting on my bum against the wall with my head between my knees. My elbows are perched atop my knees and they dangle the letter in front of me. Harry's heart will be broken. Although, humans are spectacular creatures for one reason.

We learn to live with the pain.

---

[Harry's POV]