15. Naveen

But life is not a fairy tale. It's brighter and darker, longer and briefer, duller and more magical. It's full of contradictions, but one thing it's not is neat.
—Kirsty Logan, A Portable Shelter

"Should I wear this?" I ask, pulling up a classic black off the shoulder top and putting it over my body for Reyna's view

"Should I wear this?" I ask, pulling up a classic black off the shoulder top and putting it over my body for Reyna's view. "Or this," I drop the top on my bed and pull up another one, putting it over my body; a black, off the shoulder crop top.

The Skype connection is crap but it's better than nothing. The video quality sucks but I can see Reyna sucking on a lollipop, as she stares into the webcam with a contemplative expression on her face.

"The crop top," Reyna finally decides and I sigh, barely suppressing my relief. Honestly, I wanted to go with the crop top too. But because sometimes, I can be such a typical teenage girl, I just needed a second opinion.

I nod. "Thanks Reyna," I say and I quickly tug the top over my head, adjusting the material. It only exposes one of my shoulders and I sigh, as I adjust the visible bra strap.

Yes, sometimes, I like to wear bras even though I don't need them. What? Can't I hold my hope and dreams?

Reyna chuckles. "You're acting like you're about to go out on a date," she murmurs and I ignore her teasing tone in favor of wiggling my legs into a pair of black skinny jeans. "And I know you'll say some crap about me being high, but honestly. Since when do you care if you're wearing the crop top out or not? Don't you usually wear the first thing you see in your closet?"

"Yes," I nod as a way of confirmation. "But he's coming over here and I don't know... I just—"

"Just want to look good for the guy you're so obviously crushing on?" Reyna cuts in, completing my sentence with lies.

I frown as I button my jeans. "I don't have a crush on Ian Ross," I say and the words taste bitter on my tongue because well, the truth is bitter. "It's just, he's coming over here and he'll see the staff and how big the house is and he'll feel intimidated. And I don't want him to feel that way so I'm trying to look as casual as possible."

Despite the shitty video quality, I can still see Reyna's look of disbelief. "Sure Lettie. Sure."

"Whatever," I huff under my breath. "I don't care if you believe me or not. I know I don't like Ian Ross that way. He's just a guy that's a friend."

"That you think is cute and cocky and has amazing icy blue eyes that look more like sky blue under the right lighting," Reyna says and puts air quotes around the words.

"I drunk called you. I was obviously not in the right state of mind," I argue. "Sure, he's cute. You've seen his selfies."

"Darling, his selfies make him look anything but cute," Reyna says. "Don't downplay the guy's looks. He's a walking Adonis."