The Witch's Castle

When Dorothy and I got taken away by the monkeys, everything about my nature seemed to shut off like a faucet. Even when we reached the castle, Dorothy did all the talking while I sat in a corner, knees to my chin and eyes as blank as a doll. As soon as the witch left after setting the hourglass for Dorothy and my life's, I opened my mouth and started to wail.

Soon it wasn't a wail, it was a scream. I pulled my hair, scratched my arms, pounded my knuckles against every inch of me. Dorothy came over and held my wrists, telling me over and over to calm down. Eventually, I was crying again as I let her hug me, head cradled in her neck.

"It's okay Felicia, we'll get out of here. I promise." Even though we both knew she couldn't prove that, it helped anyhow.

"You like Scarecrow." I wasn't asking, I already knew. To my slight surprise, she didn't argue. "I suppose so. Do you like Tin Man?" I didn't deny it either. "Yes, very much so." Pause.

"Can you promise me something?" She nodded. "Anything." "If we get out of here, I want you to promise me you'll never forget about this adventure or me." She was silent as she thought about it.

"I promise. As long as you promise the same." I nodded. "Promise."

~

For a long time, we just sat there in each other's arms, frightened yet courageous in the silence that seemed to tease us into assuming the worst. At some point, I closed my eyes, making a mental note about this adventure and my supposed sister. No, not supposed. Even after all this, even if I do leave, she'll still be my sister.

Her hair smelled like summertime flowers, warm and vibrant, most likely from her makeover. Her dress still ever so faintly smelt of hay from the farm, but she herself smelled like a perfect life; flowery yet farm like.

I'm not sure when our friends came to rescue us but when they did I was beyond relieved. I ran right into Tin Man's arms, only slightly bothered by the hard chest that pressed against my soft one.

"Felicia! Felicia darling you're alright! Thank heavens you're alright..." His fingers wove through my hair and he held me close. When he finally pulled back, his eyes were bright with so much love I could feel joyful tears coming on.

"Felicia honey, why are you crying?" He brushed the back of his hand across my cheek and I smiled gently.

"Because I'm so happy to see you again." To prove it, I lay my hand on his cool cheek, thumb brushing over the flawless shine. He smiled, resting his hand on mine. "I'm happy to see you too." For a little while, the world seemed to disappear as we gazed into each other's eyes.

"Awww..." We snapped back to our senses at the coo of the others. "Now that we've seen that, let's get the heck out of here." Lion said before running off towards the stairs, Dorothy and Scarecrow in hot pursuit, arms already looped. Tin Man turned to me and held out is hand.

"Shall we?" I giggled. "We shall." And taking his hand, we followed our friends. Happy, despite the situation we were in.

~

Eventually, we found ourselves cornered by the witches guards, nowhere to hide or run. But I didn't want to be afraid, on the contrary, I found I wasn't. When the witch entered, she didn't fail to notice.

"And why aren't you afraid little one?" I let go of Tin Man and stepped forward.

"Because you're a coward." The words fell so heavy yet so light from my lips. "You use magic to escape the past and cover up your wounds. But what you really need is a new start. A new life. Isn't that right...Elphaba?" Next to Wizard of Oz, Wicked was my favorite movie.

She didn't move, not at first, every part of her seemed frozen solid. When her head lowered itself gently, I noticed a bucket of water and grabbed the handle. I could've thrown it on her but instead I took a few steps forward and let her see what I was holding. She glanced up, eyes more vulnerable then I had ever seen.

"Please..." I nodded slightly. "I will, I am." She smiled. "Thank you." I returned it warmly. "Anytime." And with a heave, I tossed the water.

She didn't cry out, only sighed so faintly only I heard. Slowly she melted bit by bit until there was nothing left. For a long moment, all was quiet.

"She's dead. You killed her." A guard said, I hesitated before looking up. "She wanted it. I hope that isn't a problem."

"Hail to Felicia, the wicked witch is dead!" He proclaimed, and all the guards followed, kneeling and pointing their spears to the sky.

"The broom..." I pointed at it. "May we have it?" "Of course." He said, handing it to me. I took it with a smile as they hailed me once more. I turned to look at my friends, whose eyes were wide and their mouths gaping. Only Tin Man was smiling knowingly.

"What?" I said with a shrug, his eyes sparkled. "That's my Felicia." But I just giggled playfully, cheeks turning light pink.