Chapter Five:

Arian stared at the place where Amos was just sitting. Did I make him cry? He wondered feeling guilty. "I should not have said that." He murmured.

"Said what?" A voice asked from behind him.

He looked up and saw that it was Charles, Amos's older brother. He sighed softly and bit his lip. "I hurt Amos's feelings. He ran inside and is probably crying."

Charles hummed in thought before sitting down. "What did you say?"

Arian shifted under his gaze before letting out a breath of air. "I... He asked if I wanted to marry him... So I said I would rather marry a princess if I were being honest."

The older male inhaled sharply before sighing. "I see. That is a problem. My question is:" He looked at him straight in the eyes, "Why on earth would you say that to him when you know him well enough to see he likes you."

Arian froze. "He likes... Me? But he's so... So...."

"Spoiled, I know, but you're the one thing he wants. I'm not surprised he ran off when he heard he couldn't have him. In all honesty, he liked you ever since you two met five years ago."

Arian rose a brow. "But I... I don't..."

Charles held up a hand. "It was on your twelfth birthday ball. You had to pick someone to have the first dance with... You chose that small red headed boy whom was in his long magenta robes."

The younger Prince blushed. "I thought he was a girl..."

"Even so, he fell for you that night and you need to fix it." That being said, Charles stood up and walked off.

Arian stood up and walked up to Amos's room. From outside the door he could hear the boy's sobbing. He felt his heart clench when he realized it was all because of him. He rose a hand to knock but lost the courage and walked away from the door.

The next couple days weren't any better. Amos barely spoke to Arian and barely left his room. Arian felt awful.

One day, two days before the ball proposal, Arian's carriage rolled up. He blinked and walked outside, "Valet? What are you doing here?"

"I asked him to come pick you up."

Arian turned and saw Amos. His face was pale and his hair messy. There were dark bags under his eyes.

"Why?" Arian asked softly.

Amos turned his eyes away. "You wanted to marry a princess... So I... I phoned your father and asked for him to find you a princess... And he did... So, this is goodbye..." He explained, his face burning with shame.

Arian swallowed the lump in his throat. "Do you want this...?"

Amos guiltily looked up and nodded his head. It was an obvious lie. He wasn't guilty for wanting to end the engagement... He was guilty for wanting it.

Arian knew this but didn't press him. He sighed. "Then... I guess this is goodbye..." He whispered.

"Bye..." Amos whispered as he watched Arian being driven away. He teared up and let his arm fall limp at his sides.

Arian was confused. Didn't Amos love him? He clenched his jaw. Of course he did...

If you love something you have to let it go...

He glared at his reflection, disgusted with himself.

*****

Five days later was another proposal ball. Except, this was for Prince Arian and Princess Jessella.

Arian stared at himself in the mirror as the maids and valets called him handsome.

He felt anything but.

Arian let out ANOTHER sigh before sitting on the duvet, rubbing his forehead.

His father walked into the room. "It's almost time. Oh, and the royal family of Tragopan will be here to support you." He informed.

"They're going to be here?" Arian asked in disbelief.

"Yes. The youngest was very adamant." King Dick said with a small smile, "I'll leave you to it."

Arian got a devious idea before grinning at himself as he walked out.