Chapter 2:Of Celestial Maps,Magic Gems,and Bonds

"Princess,you must eat.It's been 10,000 years." Coran says to Allura,concerned. "I'm not hungry." She gloomily responds. "Man,10,000 years?That's like one thousand plus ten." Lance says. "That's...times ten." Keith retorts. "Whatever,dropout." Lance scoffs.Nova giggles to herself at the antic.
"I haven't eaten since breakfast and I'm starving." Hunk says,eating some sort of green goo. "Yeah,but you've thrown up, like,five times." Pudge says.
"Hmm,good point."
"I can't believe your civilization created such advanced technology 10,000 years ago.It must have been an incredible place." Shiro states,amazed.Hunk groans. "Yes,it was...but now it is gone and we're the last Alteans alive." Nova looks a bit upset. "Hey...Coran." She pouts.
"Oh,rightsorry Nova.And Honory Altean." Nova gives him a forgiving smile,but Coran can still see the sadness in her eyes,making him feel a bit guilty.Allura sobs softly as she hugs Nova.Then,they hear,squeaking.Allura looks up, letting go and she heads over to the source of the squeaking,in a pod rest four small,colorful mice.Allura gasps "Looks like we're not the last,after all." She smiles.Nova smiles weakly.
Suddenly,an alarm blares.
"A Galra battleship has set its tracker to us!" Coran says.Nova freezes. "How did they find us?" She asks.
"I'm not sure, but I bet it's Keith's fault." Lance says. "Say whatever you've got to say to make yourself feel better.After getting us stuck on the other side of a wormhole!" Keith retorts.
"I'll stick you in a wormhole!"
"Stow it,cadets!" Shiro says. "This is no time to place blame.It's time to work as a team." He looks to Coran. "How long before they arrive?"
"At their speed?" Coran asks. "Oh,well," he starts calculating. "Um...carry the two..." He finishes. "I'd say probably a couple of days."
"Good.Let them come!By the time they get here,you five will have reformed Voltron,and together,we will destroy Zarkon's empire!" Allura says.Hunk burps. "Sorry.Food goo." He apologizes.His stomach rumbles,and he silently groans. "Princess,there are five of these lions.How are we going to find the rest?" Shiro asks.The mice squeak.
Later......
Allura stands under a cyan light in a neighboring room,the others are with her as well.
"King Alfor connected the lions to Allura's life force.She alone is the key to the lions' whereabouts." Coran says with pride. "I'm afraid your not entirely true,Coran." They all look to Nova,gently holding her necklace.She looks to Allura. "The map please,Princess." With a nod,a technical celestial map appears.
"Whoa!"
The jewels on Nova's necklace glow dimly.Small orbs of light leave them,appearing on few places on the map.The blue and black lights are close.The red light wanders around the map. "These are coordinates.The lights from the gems help pinpoint them.The Black Lion looks like it's in the same location as the Blue Lion." Pidge observes.Coran pops up beside Pidge. "Look at your primitive synapses firing away in their little brain cage."
"Very observant.That's because the Black Lion is in the castle." Allura says.
"To keep the Black Lion out of Zarkon's hands,King Alfor locked it in the castle.He can only be freed if the other four lions and the keeper are present,the keeper being me." Nova explains.
"As you have found,the lions choose their pilots.It is a mystical bond and cannot be forced.The quintessence of the pilot is mirrored in his/or her lion.Together,they form something greater than science can explain." Allura looks to Nova. "Go on.You know them better than I do." Nova blushes. "R-Right Princess." She clears her throat.
"The Black Lion is the decisive head of Voltron.It will take a pilot who is a born leader and in control at all times,someone whose men will follow without hesitation." Nova starts.
"That is why,Shiro,you will pilot the Black Lion." Allura says. "The Green Lion has an inquisitive personality and needs a pilot of intellect and daring." Nova continues.
"Pidge,you will pilot the Green Lion."
"The Blue Lion-" Nova gets cut off.
"Hold up,let me guess.Takes the most handsome slash best pilot of the bunch?" Lance interrupts.Nova sighs.
"...The Yellow Lion is caring and kind.Its pilot is one who puts the needs of others above his own.His heart must be mighty.As the leg of Voltron,you will lift the team up and hold them together." Nova continues,ignoring Lance.Nova and Allura look to Hunk.Hunk grunts questioningly.Nova looks up to the wandering red light. "The Red Lion is temperamental and the most difficult to master.It's faster and more agile than the others,but also more unstable.Its pilot needs to be someone who relies more on instincts than skill alone."
"Keith,you will fly the Red Lion." Allura says,looking to Keith.
"What?This guy?" Lance asks.Keith growls.
"Unfortunately,neither Nova nor I can locate the Red Lion's coordinates yet." Allura says as the lights retreating back to the gemstones,the red light remains to wander. "There must be something wrong with the castle.After 10,000 years,it might need some work." Allura finishes. "Don't worry,we'll find it soon.They don't call me "The Coranic" for nothing.It's because it sounds like "mechanic."So...Coranic,mechanic.It's not-it doesn't sound...exactly like it.It's similar."
A mini Red Lion roars.Lance gasps silently.
"Once all the lions are united,you will form Voltron,the most powerful warrior ever known,the Defender of the Universe." Allura says.
"Awesome!" Hunk says. "Oh...wait.Okay,we're going to be in there and flying lions.Got that part.How do lions turn into legs?Also,is this going to be a long trip?Because I have to pee." He looks to Allura and Coran. "Do you people pee?"
"We don't have much time.Pidge and I will go after the Green Lion." Shiro says,looking to Pidge.He turns to Lance. "Lance,you take Hunk and get the yellow one." He turns to Keith. "Keith,you stay here.If you locate that Red Lion,go get it." Keith nods.
"In the meantime,I'll get this castle's defenses ready.They'll be sorely needed." Allura says.
"I'll ready a pod and load in the coordinates so that you can reach the Green Lion." Coran says,soon running off.Nova turns to Allura. "Um,Allura,while he's busy,can I see Blue again?" "It has been a long time....oh,why not."
"Thank you Princess!" Nova runs off to the outside.
Shiro looks to Allura. "Was she close to them?The lions,I mean." Shiro asks.Allura giggles. "She loved all of them.They loved her right back.She would spend more of her time with them more than anyone else,including her sister."
"Some dedication." Pidge says. "Nova and her sister were considered..erm,outcasts.Species that weren't of full Altean knowledge were considered outcasts.To keep everything under balance,we also gave them Altean names.The lions were basically the only ones who saw them as actual beings with emotions.Nova however...was the closest to the five."

Outside,the blue lion rests outside,bored. "BLUE!" The mechanical feline turned its head to see Nova running towards it as fast as her feet can take her. "It's me!Nova!" The lions roars happily and it runs to Nova,stopping in time to keep Nova from flying out into space. "I missed you so much Blue!" Nova says,her eyes full of tears.The lion dips its head,she smiles and she hugs its metal nose. "It's been so long Blue.10,000 years it has been since I've seen you." Nova said,her voice full of sadness. "It's alright now.I'm here now....and we won't be apart for a long,long time." Blue lets out a small growl. "I know Blue.Me too."