Chapter Two

~ There are no strangers here; Only friends you haven't yet met

Chapter Two

Why was it one of the biggest mistakes of my life? Because that's where it all started, although, if I hadn't leaned against the railing, I'm sure the changes in my life would have happened regardless.

As I put my weight on the railing, I heard the sound of a crack and before I could comprehend what was happening, the railing gave way and I fell along with it, my head slamming onto the floor and the broken railing between my body and the floor. I didn't exactly black out or anything, but spots of light flashed before my eyes. My head throbbed in pain and a sharp stab-like ache surged through the rest of my body. I heard stomps of footsteps, obviously, belonging to my parents as they ran out of the kitchen to see what the loud thud was.

Mum gasped and Dad bent down beside me.

"Are you okay, sweetie?" I felt his hands on my right arm as he rolled me over so that my back was against the floor.

I screamed in response at the pain I felt as, he moved me, it was excruciating.

"Of course she's not! What are you doing, David? Carry her to her bed!" Mum shouted orders at him.

Dad grunted but picked me up nonetheless, one arm under my neck and the other under my knees, as if I weighed lighter than a feather and carried me up to my room. Each jolt caused an insane amount of discomfort, but the most I could do was bite my lip to prevent anymore screams from escaping. I don't know how but I felt like I had used up all my energy. He placed me in my bed and put the covers over.

"You'll be okay." He smiled down at me, taking my left hand in both of his. I hissed in pain. He kissed my forehead after brushing some of my hair out of my face. "Just get some rest, sweetie."

Mum walked into the room, just as Dad was about to exit, with her phone to her ear.

"I'm calling the doctor," she mouthed to him when he raised a thick, dark blond eyebrow at her. He responded by rolling his eyes.

When she says doctor, she means Greg, a family friend. Well, more like Mum's friend that we all put up with. Any little thing that happens, she gives him a call and he comes running to our house – well driving- in minutes flat. He usually gets here in ten minutes and, sometimes, I feel that he must exceed the speed limit in order to get here that fast. Apparently, Mum had a crush on him so long ago but I think that crush wasn't exactly crushed out of her. I suspect Dad thinks it too.

"Elaina, she'll be fine. She just needs to rest." He placed a hand on her shoulder to direct her out of the room.

Mum whispered something to him, which I couldn't hear, and I only noticed him nodding. So Mum had won, I guess, and Greg was on his way. I felt my eyes drooping after they had closed my door and fell into a dreamless sleep.

***

"...ould be better if she was a guardian!" I heard the whisper of Mum's voice.

"Elaina, you need to get over that. You need to acknowledge that she's something else." Dad was also speaking in a hushed voice.

I squinted just in case they were facing me. I woke up, yet to open my eyes, to their voices. They were both stood beside my bed, Mum's back to me and Dad stood in front of her. Although he was still facing her, his eyes briefly glanced over to mine and I quickly shut my eyes again. I gulped, thinking I was busted. I really wanted to hear what they were saying.

"Or nothing else at this rate," Mum replied in a snide voice.

"All the signs are there. When she fell from the railing it was probably her strength kicking in and what about her guardian?" He took a deep breath before responding to her. I relaxed, realising Dad mustn't have noticed that I was awake.